Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.. MFranca86 Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

How is the fastest way to do a filesystem backup?

Jump to solution

I have some servers that are too slow to back up filesystem.

In some cases I'm taking 5 hours to record 100Gb.

Are there any specific settings to make the backup faster?

I have already removed the all log and even then there is a very large delay, they are not servers that have hundreds of thousands of files.

Our fileserver has more than 15TB and backup occurs much faster than these smaller ones.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: How is the fastest way to do a filesystem backup?

Jump to solution

Hi @MFranca86,

Can you please try to install the Media Agent to the File Server and setup a null device on it?

This is done by creating a new Standalone device (make sure to select the file server itself as the Client for the device) and use the special device nul as seen in the screeenshot.

2019-04-01_19h59_10.png

Perform the backup and check the progress. If this is still slow, the source is the problem.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
12 Replies
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi @MFranca86,

Directly backing up to tape might cause additional delay, especially if the overall feed speed is too slow for the drive.

Right now you have the choice to use a traditional Disk Agent-based backup (included in the product) or a MSVSS (requires Online Integration license, install MSVSS integration on file server).

When using the Disk Agent-based backup you should use this omnirc option on the File Server and make sure Statistics Information is not ticked. Make sure the Virus Scanner does not perform on-read scans.

OB2NOTREEWALK=1

By default there is one Disk Agent process per drive/mount point. If you need to go beyond the performance of one process backing up one drive you need to divide the drive into smaller pieces and back them up in parallel. This is a manual/static configuration step.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Thank you @Sebastian.Koehler . 

I just put the OB2NOTREEWALK = 1 command on the server's omnirc and put a backup to run.

I use the Disk Agent method and although I have 14 drives in my environment, I can not use multiple drives for the same Job.

I'll report the results tomorrow, thanks.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi @MFranca86,

Any news on the backup performance after implementing the changes?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello Sebastian, sorry for my delay in giving feedback.
After setting the variable OB2NOTREEWALK = 1, I noticed an improvement in backup time, but far from expected.

I'm still taking almost 24h to make just over 200Gb on the file server mentioned, full backup.

The incrementals are very small, around 2, 3Gb and take almost an hour to record on tape.

Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi @MFranca86,

Please make sure that the option Display statistical info checkbox is not selected on the backup spec. Is there a Anti virus solution active on the file server? Try to disable on-access scan (read) during backup time.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Display statistical info is not selected, I will ask my security analyst to see the anti-virus settings.

Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi @MFranca86,

Great! I have customers where we simply to the Anti Virus client during backup or where we change to scan on write only. But disabling it (or having an exception for the VBDA.exe process) could make a big difference.

In the meantime check the fragmentation of the file server. If there is a high fragmentation try to defrag even if may take days to complete.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

I have not got a solution yet, even doing all the procedures.
I'm starting to think it might be some disk problem in storage

Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi @MFranca86,

Backup puts a high load on the file system and the underlying storage system. This is getting worse in case Windows Server Deduplication is used on the file system, because the sequential read on the files is becomes a random read in the backend. Is this the case for your file server?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello Sebastian, that was not the case. I honestly do not know what else to do.
I disabled Filesystem backup and left only VMware.

I was not able to enter the forum for a while, my apologies for being slow to respond.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi @MFranca86,

Can you please try to install the Media Agent to the File Server and setup a null device on it?

This is done by creating a new Standalone device (make sure to select the file server itself as the Client for the device) and use the special device nul as seen in the screeenshot.

2019-04-01_19h59_10.png

Perform the backup and check the progress. If this is still slow, the source is the problem.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Respected Contributor..

Jump to solution

This is it! I created the null device and started the backup, after 5 minutes had only been processed 100mb, now I am sure that this host is extremely slow. Thank you.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.