Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
MO_4 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

How to keep tape drives from going into Inactive/Finished

Running DP v10.30 on Windows 2012 R2 as Cell Manager.  My Media Agent is also Windows 2012 R2.

I'm using Data Protector's MS Exchange 2010 backup integration to perform DAG backups.

Problem: Tape drives go into Inactive/Finished state before all the MS Exchange 2010 DBs have completed.

Trying to backup MS Exchange 2010 DBs (DAG environment).    There are 8 DBs about 400gb each DB.

I set up the backup to use 8 tape drives on the Media Agent using  "min/max = 8/8".  The backup starts and pauses for some time to check Exchange DB logs consistency.  The drives are engage and written to, but after a few minutes when there are no more objects the drives go into "Inactive/Finished" status leaving only 1 or 2 drives running.  It seems MS Exchange DAG does not send data fast enough for drives to stay active.   Instead of running backup in 2-3 hours it takes longer because now there's only one or two drive active to do 8 DBs.

I have the following in global file on the Cell Manager:   

SmMaIdleTimeout=370
SmDaIdleTimeout=360

The omnirc file on Cell Manager:

OB2IPCKEEPALIVE=1
OB2IPCKEEPALIVETIME=150
OB2IPCKEEPALIVEINTERVAL=50
OB2SHMEM_IPCGLOBAL=1
OB2SHMIPC=0

The omnirc file on the Media Agent being used as MA for the DAG backup 
OB2KEEPALIVE=1
OB2IPCKEEPALIVETIME=3600
OB2IPCKEEPALIVEINTERVAL=60

Is there a Data Protector setting or variable  I'm missing on my Cell Manager or on the Media Agent or the DAG clients?

Thanks in advance for any help / assistance.

MO. 

0 Likes
8 Replies
MO_4 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Re: How to keep tape drives from going into Inactive/Finished

NOTE:  The Media Agent is only used for for MS Exchange DAG backup and it would be ideal to make any changes on it and not on Cell Manager in order not to globally affect the CM or other MA or clients.  

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @MO_4

Here you mention that you use Min 8 and Max 8 in load balacing, this means that 8 drives will be started at the same moment. According to the concurrency the objects will start. If in one tape the objects ended first, maybe because the objects are not so big, it will end, but the others will continue running. 

If at the end only one or two tapes are running the biggest objects, there is no way to split again the objects, they will run in the tape that started. 

Let me know if this makes sense. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
MO_4 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

@Victor_F_DP 

Andres,

It makes perfect sense, but I need the tape drives to wait longer before they go inactive.

I have used both 8/8 and also 1/8 min/max setting and I think the results are the same.  I also use concurrency of 1 per tape drive since I'm using StoreOnce devices (best practice to use concurrency=1).   

The issue is that DAG does not send DB sets right away and the drives are going into inactive mode too fast.  Since this MA is only used for this backup I could set any timeout threshold on it without affecting rest of the Cell Manager or Media Agents.   I'm not sure if what I already have on the MA omnirc file is enough or working.

Thanks,

MO. 

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @MO_4

Try to enable these variables as listed. Some of them are already added, but modify them with the specified value: 

--CM--
OB2IPCLINGER=1
OB2IPCKEEPALIVETIME=600
OB2IPCKEEPALIVEINTERVAL=30
OB2INETTIMEOUT=10
OB2_IPC_PROTOCOLINFOTMEOUT=60

--MA--
OB2SHMIPC=0
OB2IPCLINGER=1
OB2IPCKEEPALIVEINTERVAL=30
OB2INETTIMEOUT=10
OB2_IPC_PROTOCOLINFOTMEOUT=60

Best regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @MO_4,

Are we talking about tape drives (physical tape) or a B2D library (using StoreOnce Catalyst over IP or FC)? How many databases are backed up in the DAG backup? This is important to know because BSM allocates each object to a device. How many DAG nodes do you have and is each of the nodes able to access the backup devices?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
MO_4 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

@Victor_F_DP 

Andres,

Before I add these entries to the CM a MA omnirc file I would like to understand what they do in case they cause other issues with other backups.  Is there a document of link where Microfocus has detail information on these variables?  

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @MO_4

These are only timeout sets with the exception of OB2SHMIPC. This one is to use shared memory buffer. 
All the other variables did not affect the normal operation of the backups, just give higher times in timeouts. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar

0 Likes
MO_4 Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

@Sebastian.Koehler 

The backup devices are a VTL on a B6200 HPE StoreOnce.  There are about 16 DBs backed up in DAG backup.  Each DB has 3 components "E2010", "MSVSSW-APP Logs" and "MSVSSW-APP File". The DAG has 5 nodes, The Media Agent is one of the DAG nodes "WPWEXMBP4".  We use the option to backup DB passive copy only.   Usually when backup starts it  only selects 3 of the 5 nodes to backup the DBs.  The other 2 nodes usually do not have passive copies.

[Normal] From: OB2BAR_E2010_BAR@wpwexmbp01.qqq.com "MS Exchange 2010+ Server" Time: 11/6/2019 3:00:12 PM
Mailbox Databases selected for backup on server wpwexmbp3.qqq.com
Litigation\WPWEXMBP3
EEDARMDB01\WPWEXMBP3
EEDARMDB02\WPWEXMBP3
CIRMDB01\WPWEXMBP3
mdb01\WPWEXMBP3
mdb03\WPWEXMBP3
mdb04\WPWEXMBP3
mdb06\WPWEXMBP3
mdb07\WPWEXMBP3
mdb09\WPWEXMBP3
mdb10\WPWEXMBP3
mdb12\WPWEXMBP3
mdb14\WPWEXMBP3
mdb15\WPWEXMBP3

[Normal] From: OB2BAR_E2010_BAR@wpwexmbp01.qqq.com "MS Exchange 2010+ Server" Time: 11/6/2019 3:00:12 PM
Mailbox Databases selected for backup on server wpwexmbp4.qqq.com
mdb05\WPWEXMBP4
mdb08\WPWEXMBP4
mdb11\WPWEXMBP4
mdb13\WPWEXMBP4

Mailbox Databases selected for backup on server wpwexmbp02.qqq.com
Exec\WPWEXMBP02
EVPilot\WPWEXMBP02
NJMDB01\WPWEXMBP02
mdb02\WPWEXMBP02

It was suggested by Andres Fallas from Microfocus to add a few variables to the CM and MA omnirc file but I need to understand what each of the new variables does.  I don't want to introduce other problems without knowing what those variable do.  Do you know of a web link or official document that describes in layman's terms all the many variables that are added to .omnirc file?

Thanks for your reply.

MO

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.