Respected Contributor.. MFranca86 Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

How to prioritize restorations?

Hello guys,
I often need to do restores but my backup queue is too large.
How can I make my restorations a priority? Normally, restorations are low priority and multiple backups come in first.

Thank you.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: How to prioritize restorations?

Hi @MFranca86,

Actually Data Protector does not maintain a queue, if you refer to the queueing that happens when multiple sessions (backups, restores) are waiting for the same device/media. So there is no option other than to disable the jobs using this device and abort any running/waiting sessions manually.

Do you have any spare drives available? In this case you can remap the busy device to an idle device in the same library when starting the restore. From my point of view this would be the best option.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Respected Contributor.. MFranca86 Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

I understand. My problem is that I run more than 1200 jobs a day, so when I need to do a restore, I need to do an omnitrig -stop and cancel all backup jobs that are waiting. After doing the restore, it takes me a long time to get back to the environment.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @MFranca86,

This must be a nightmare if there are no devices not configured for backup. As a counter mesurement I would recommend to configure at least one drive for restores and remap during restore.

I've submitted and idea for this. If you have comments, just add them there.

Restores should have priority over backups
https://community.softwaregrp.com/t5/Data-Protection-Idea-Exchange/Restores-should-have-priority-over-backups/idi-p/1653378

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi @MFranca86,

Please also vote for the idea. It shows product management that this item is important to you.

Thanks,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello MFranca86,

Hope to make a comment.

I am not sure what you mean by "restorations are low priority".  As per product design, restore is an interactive activity unlike backup that you can schedule.

Restore is interactive means that you need to make sure everything is available/ready - such as the drive you need for restore if free/idle. It can be the same drive used by backup (default) or any compatible drive.

"Backup queue is too large" - what do you mean? Is this a situation where many backup sessions is waiting for the next available drive? If yes, then this is not ideal and I would recommend against it.

Example - if you have 10 drives and assuming 1 backup/1 drive, then only 10 backups should be running at a time. You should not start the 11th and more backup if you know the active backups are still running and will take time.

If from the same 10 active sessions, one backup is to finish at say 12noon, then the 11th backup should be scheduled to start around 12noon or 12:15pm, and not an hour early.

The objective is to prevent many DP backup sessions in the Q, which technically means you have "waiting" BSM consuming system resources.

Now, with the same approach as managing your backup sessions, then you can plan for your interactive restore, which means, you should easily identify one of your free drives to use.

Hope you get the idea of what I am trying to highlight - which is basically managing your DP sessions - scheduled and interactive, to maximize your system resources, specifically your drives.

Hope this helps

Rgds,

Sherman

DP Support

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.