Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hyper-V , errors on backups, sometime pass and others do not

Hi Folks,

I have DP 6.2, Hyper-V cluster with 4 nodes.
My backups of virtual machines sometime  pass and others do not.

When fail ,I have an error like this:

[Major] From: OB2BAR_VSSBAR@XXX-sj-hpv01-02. "HyperV"  Time: 12/19/2011 9:33:05 PM

Cannot perform backup of: 
  '/Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer/Virtual Machines/Backup Using Child Partition Snapshot\TTT-SJ-ZZZ-01',
 which contains data in: 
  C:\ClusterStorage\volume1\TTT-SJ-ZZZ-01\Virtual Machines\4E0E6A08-59CA-4334-B5C0-6CDBF03A28A6.xml
  C:\ClusterStorage\volume1\TTT-SJ-ZZZ-01\Virtual Machines\4E0E6A08-59CA-4334-B5C0-6CDBF03A28A6\*
  C:\ClusterStorage\volume1\TTT-SJ-ZZZ-01\Virtual Hard Disks\TTT-SJ-ZZZ-01-01.vhd

anyone has had this behavior?

Regards

Please assign a kudo to this post, if you find it useful.
Tags (1)
0 Likes
10 Replies
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

I have similar behavior... still do not know why it happens... but I had already to reboot my hyper-v server once for the errors to disappear... but they reappeared after two weeks or so...
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Could you please test with Data Protector 6.21 patch bundle as it includes some fixes for clustered Hyper-V environments.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi Sebastian,

I installed,  but same problem...

Regards

0 Likes
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi,

I have 4 nodes, do you mean reboot all nodes?

Regards
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Does this error happen on VMs with user snapshots attached? Did you see any VSS related errors in the system eventlog of the hosts or in the VMs in question?

Regards,
Sebastian
---
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Hi,

I just find this error:

The Volume Shadow Copy service entered the stopped state.

looks like the problem is VSS , but the strange are the sesion sometime fail and sometime pass.

Regards.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

No, this is expected during VSS snapshot creation. Did you see any relatation between the VMs that fail and the one that succeed? (e.g. ifferencing vs. fixed disk or do they share the same host) Do you have any old snapshots in the filesystem still belong to the VM? What about free disk space in the CSVs? Only the shutdown of the VM will consolidate them back into the source VHD finally.

The error message itself points to some locking issue on the CSV caused by multiple backups running at the same time. Maybe some Data Protector process still hangs on one of your Hyper-V nodes and locks the VM. Please check all of your Hyper-V nodes for such stale processes belonging to the Data Protector while no backup is running. (vdba, vss_bar, vepa_bar, vepa_util) If a process does hang after a backup, log a case with HP Support to resolve the root cause.

Regards,

Sebastian

---
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

in my case I had only to reboot the node where the problem happened...

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

You can check tasklist output or the task manager for running processes. If you find some hung process, you can report that to HP to obtain a fix.

Regards,
Sebastian
---
0 Likes
Cadet 2nd Class Cadet 2nd Class
Cadet 2nd Class

Is this problem already solved. I have the same error but then with DP7.01.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.