Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Hyper-V virtual machine Cell Manager backup to FC tape library

Jump to solution

I have tried to migrate the actual physical Windows Server 2008 R2 DataProtector v. 9.07 Cell manager to Hyper-V virtual machine on Windows Server 2012 R2 host.

I have presented the physical hba to virtual machine, enabled NPIV, I have installed the last drivers for medium exhangers and for tapes, zoned the SAN but I'm still not able to finish any backup session to FC Tape library MSL 4048 LTO 6.

The error that I get is: 

[90:63] => UMA@cell_manager_name@Changer1:0:3:1
Cannot load exchanger medium ([1117] The request could not be performed because of an I/O device error. )

What else should I configure in order to work?

Tags (3)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Tape pass-through is not supported with physical or virtual tape drives and robotics. The BURA compatibility matrix contains this kind of information. The best way is to access the tape library and drives is using a Media Agent on the HyperV host while the Cell Manager runs inside the HyperV guest. Please note that HyperV role will most likely reduce the available network bandwith on the HyperV host.

Please use the Accept Solution button next to my post and assign a KUDO (thumbs up icon) if this works for you.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..

Hi,

at that point I would say it is about the SCSI address of the robotics, from DP GUI you may do right click in the library > properties > control tab > are the SCSI paths correct right? do you have "automatically discover SCSI address" option enabled?

normally it is recomended to have a physical dedicated box as media agent server instead of a VM.

Marcos A.
SW Support Technical Consultant
San Jose, Costa Rica
Hewlett Packard Enterprise
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Tape pass-through is not supported with physical or virtual tape drives and robotics. The BURA compatibility matrix contains this kind of information. The best way is to access the tape library and drives is using a Media Agent on the HyperV host while the Cell Manager runs inside the HyperV guest. Please note that HyperV role will most likely reduce the available network bandwith on the HyperV host.

Please use the Accept Solution button next to my post and assign a KUDO (thumbs up icon) if this works for you.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

Hi,

The SCSI path is correct and the option "automatically discover SCSI address" is enabled.

I will try with the physical dedicated box as media agent server instead of a VM.

Thank you,

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

This should work properly. I have a few customers running this kind of setup. Please don't forget to update this forum topic if it is working ok. This will help others to find the right solutions quickly.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Highlighted
Established Member..
Established Member..

I have made some test using Media agent from Hyper-V host and it's working. What about the license? Do I need some supplimentary license in this case?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Data Protector does not require any additional license for the implemented change. I'm glad this is working for you, too. Seems we can close this topic. 🙂

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.