Absent Member.. hp_Cgeorge Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hyper V vm backups : best solution

I have a question about the best way to backup vm's on a Hyper V failover cluster.

Do I use the VSS transportable backup (with the installed haredware provider on the hyper hosts) or do I specify a bacukp through Virtual Env Integration?

0 Likes
11 Replies
AlesKol Honored Contributor.
Honored Contributor.

Re: Hyper V vm backups : best solution

Hi,

Correct answer would be to use both. When creating Backup specification you would go through “Virtual Environment” -> “add backup” and then on the first page you change “backup type” to “VSS transportable backup”.

Regards AlesKol

0 Likes
Absent Member..

I added the virtual integration on a hyper v host, next to the virtual shadow copy integration, but when I try to setup this type of backup I don't see the host in the dropdown box ?

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

Hi,

You need to:

•  install VSS and and Virtual integration on “hyperV server”
  • During backup spec creation you select for “client” your “hyperV server”
  • And then you will select VMs (hosts)  you want to backup on last page

Hope this helps, AlesKol

0 Likes
Absent Member..

That's just the problem I can't select the hyper v host, it's not in the dropdown client.

This is installed on the hyper v host : install VSS and and Virtual integration on “hyperV server”

see in attached screenshots

0 Likes
Honored Contributor.

That is strange, to my understanding you should see all DP clients imported as Hyper-V clients in this context.

Can you confirm that this “Hyper-V server” was imported to DP as Hyper-V client?

0 Likes
Absent Member..

yes, you can see it als on the screenshot capture.jpg

0 Likes
antaln Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

If you are using a cluster (and cluster-aware config seems to indicate you are), you must re-import the virtual host as the Hyper-V client in DP. Did you do that?

Check section "Prerequisites" in Part 5: Virtualization, Chapter 20: Data Protector Virtual Environment integration for Microsoft Hyper-V of the HPE Data Protector Integration Guide.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

I already did this.

I followed all the prerequisits and the integreation guide 😞

0 Likes
antaln Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

I suggest you open a ticket with DP support to collect diagnostic data and troubleshoot further.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

ok

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello hp_Cgeorge,

I can see that you are configuring for Data Protector Virtual Environment integration for Microsoft Hyper-V and I would like to check if you are OK on the replies you got on this post.

Yes - looks like you may need to log a support case so this one can be investigated/checked further.

I would basically run a checklists - on how you have configured things using the DP Integration to see are things and then determine what / why you are having issues.

For now, if you are OK with the replies and you have log a support case, I would need to request if you can click on the ACCEPT AS SOLUTION for this post.

Rgds,

Sherman
HPE DP SUPPORT

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.