Absent Member.. raj0309 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

IDB issue after upgrade form DP7.0 to DP 9.0

Jump to solution

Hi,

After upgrade from DP 7.0 to 9.02, I see all services are up and running  also IDB backup is successful, however following issues have been noticed.

1.IDB  backup shows size = 1.5 GB which was 7.5 GB on DP7.0

2.When tried  "omnimigrate.pl -report_catalog_migration"   it does not display any progress or not changein DCBF directories (either DB40 or DB80).Also no errors reported.

Is DCBF migration a mandatory step? If yes, what could be the reason that there is no change after running the command omnimigrate.pl -report_catalog_migration.

What could be the reason for reduced IDB size after upgrade to DP9.0?

Any assitance will be highly appreciated.

Regards

Raj

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.. svollrat Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: IDB issue after upgrade form DP7.0 to DP 9.0

Jump to solution

Hi Rajesh

No, the db40 Part (CDB and DCBFs) is not Part of the new DB-System.

During Upgrade the Critical Parts like Devices, Medias and general Object-Info are copied from there to Postgres-DB in db80.

Things like Object-Versions and Filenames are kept in the old Part in read-only mode and are only queried if old Jobs are accessed (f.E. for restore).

Once all your old Backups are expired or you successfully did the Catalog-Migration, the db40 DCBFs should be empty and the db40 Datafiles can be removed as well (f.E. via omnimigrate.pl -remove_old_catalog).

Till then you should keep a Backup of that part, if they they get lost you otherwise would need to re-import the affected medias to do the restore.

Hope that helps

BR

Stefan

7 Replies
Highlighted
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

1.IDB  backup shows size = 1.5 GB which was 7.5 GB on DP7.0

What could be the reason for reduced IDB size after upgrade to DP9.0?

--------------

The IDB database in DP 8.x and above is from a totally different vendor, it uses a PostRegSQL database, and, things are much smaller.  Plus, the IDB is only backing up Data Catalog Binary Files created since DP 9 was installed

========================

When tried  "omnimigrate.pl -report_catalog_migration"   it does not display any progress or not changein DCBF directories (either DB40 or DB80).Also no errors reported.

Is DCBF migration a mandatory step? If yes, what could be the reason that there is no change after running the command omnimigrate.pl -report_catalog_migration.

No, migration is not a necessary step.  You can have the DP 7 DCBF files, so that it a REstore is necessary from a Backup prior to the Upgrade, DP 9 can use those files for the Restore

As media has its session protection expire, and the media is reused, the number of old DCBF files will get smaller and smaller, until all media has been reused, and the pre-8.0 DCBF directories are empty

Just for information, when you format a Media, a DCBF file is created, and all data about what si written to that media is placed in the DCBF file.  When you Export the media, or reuse teh media, the old DCBF file disappears

Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Thanks BOB, I appreciate your help,however I am still unable to find answers for following:      

- The IDB backup post migration seems to be backing up DB40 & DB80 both the folders,
in that case the ideal IDBbackup size = backup of DB40+DB80. Then why is it showing lesser size?

- Why both the following commands do not list any output?
   omnimigrate.pl -start_catalog_migration
   omnimigrate.pl -report_catalog_migration_progress

Opened a support case, I will post the result once fixed.

Regards

Raj

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

After an Upgrade you will have both Database-Engines, the db40 Part with the legacy-DCBFs and the new db80 Part with the Postgres-DB and the new DCBF-Format.

Right after the Upgrade your db40 Part should be the same size as before, if not the case something is usually wrong.

The db80 Part is usually around 1GB in size, often smaller. Only after you run new Backups or migrate the DCBFs this part will grow.

When you execute omnimigrate.pl make sure to execute it with the Perl-Version provided by DataProtector.

Personally I'd only do the Migration for Media with long term Retention. Stuff that expires in some days to a month are not worth the effort.

Established Member.. Alex Tien
Established Member..

Jump to solution

Run 'omnidbutil -list_dcdirs' and you'll see both old and new DCBF directories are still active and writable.  So newly created DCBFs will write to both db40 and db80 DCBFs directories.

And I agree with svollrat - run omnimigrate.pl using DP\bin\perl.exe.  I get a lot of funny errors running with StrawberryPerl or ActivePerl.

Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Svollrat,

Thanks for your close answer.

1. With that guidence I was able to get the DCBF migration completed successfully.

2. I also understood that the DB40 would also be a part of the new IDB and DB40 size is okay.

Could you please clarify on the following..

3. Are  the old CDB and MMDB files  also be a part of the New Database Engine.

(I think they are because if I move old CDB then restore does not work)

4. If yes, do we need to secure them with File System level backup ?  because the New IDB backup does not seems to back the old CDB/MMDB  files during IDB backup of the new Database and it only backsup the DCBF form DB40.

Regards

Rajesh

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Rajesh

No, the db40 Part (CDB and DCBFs) is not Part of the new DB-System.

During Upgrade the Critical Parts like Devices, Medias and general Object-Info are copied from there to Postgres-DB in db80.

Things like Object-Versions and Filenames are kept in the old Part in read-only mode and are only queried if old Jobs are accessed (f.E. for restore).

Once all your old Backups are expired or you successfully did the Catalog-Migration, the db40 DCBFs should be empty and the db40 Datafiles can be removed as well (f.E. via omnimigrate.pl -remove_old_catalog).

Till then you should keep a Backup of that part, if they they get lost you otherwise would need to re-import the affected medias to do the restore.

Hope that helps

BR

Stefan

Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for the more precise answer.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.