Having problems with your account or logging in?
A lot of changes are happening in the community right now. Some may affect you. READ MORE HERE
Respected Contributor.. brits Respected Contributor..
Respected Contributor..

IDB restore to another cell manager - DP 9.04

Hi Team, 

Do we have any screenshots or step by step information to restore IDB from production cell manager to DR site cell manager. (windows platform)

Regards

0 Likes
10 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: IDB restore to another cell manager - DP 9.04

Hi brits,

I cannot share any screenshots here since most of this is customer specific and contains sensitive data. What I can tell you is that it works well in case you take care of the following items to make things smooth.

• In case of DR the DR Cell Manager should be reconfigured with the same FQDN and IP address
  • The destination CM should have the same directory structure as the source system
  • Have the media kit and patches ready in the DR site
  • General preparation such as know where the recent IDB backup resides (media.log or omnirpt output)
  • The DR CM should have access to the backup media where the recent IDB backup resides

If the source system is a cluster (Microsoft Failover Cluster, Serviceguard, etc.) things getting more complicated. In general the DR CM should be a cluster, too. If not manual adjustments will take addional time.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
Tags (3)
0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Especially with older Data Protector A.09.00 releases the following global option should be defined (also on the DR CM) to make IDB recovery (log replay) work well.

DbRecoveryTimeout=30

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

• In case of DR the DR Cell Manager should be reconfigured with the same FQDN and IP address

is it mandatory to have same IP and cell manager name at DR site as well ?

In DR site , the IP and cell manager names are different from production server but the domain name is same in both sites. If your point is related to DP license , I will be using emergency license key which includes all features & functionality of DP.

The DP is running on MS cluster on prod site. The same configuration is done at DR site cell manager also. (Like IDB is running on SAN drive , drive letter is kept same , path is also same) 

I need some steps to follow to ensure I am doing IDB restore correctly , without missing anything.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Yes, IP is only required for sake of the licenses. The hostname is highly recommended because the clients all registred to it, the AppServer and other configuration files point to the hostname of the Cell Manager.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

what should I do if the cell manager hostname is different in DR site ? any other way pls ?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

• Make the media with IDB backup available in DR site and import it
  • Perform a full IDB restore in the DR site, make sure the global option is set
  • Get your hands dirty and check every piece of the software (configuration files and IDB) and replace the hostname of the CM. The recent documentation for Data Protector A.09.07 might help here. Refer to Changing the Cell Manager name and Changing the hostname in Job Control Engine (JCE) database in Installation.pdf.
  • Then you need import the clients to the new Cell Manager (name)

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

thank you Sebastian. I will check 9.07 doc .

what does "omnidbutil -change_cell_name" command does ? I have seen this command in DP 9 guides to change the cell server name after IDB restore.

would this command help in my case?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

It will be part of the solution, but I mean it when I say "make your hands dirty". There is additional work in the configuration files and the JCE database. From CLI reference guide.

omnidbutil -change_cell_name [OldHost]

This option changes the owner of the CDB to the current Cell Manager. It also changes all references
in the CMMDB from OldHost to the current Cell Manager. It modifies all media entries within the
MMDB or CMMDB associated with the original Cell Manager (old host).
If the OldHost parameter is not specified, omnidbutil determines the previous owner of the
CDB (old host) from the database itself.
If you want to associate all media in a CMMDB with the current Cell Manager, it is necessary to
execute the command once for each Cell Manager that has media associated with it, using the OldHost
parameter.

Specify the OldHost parameter exactly the same as the owner of the media. If the system's
Fully Qualified Domain Name (FQDN) is associated with the media, also use the FQDN with this command.
If the OldHost parameter is not specified correctly, the operation will not be performed.
This command is used after moving databases from one Cell Manager to another or after using -readdb
on files that were created on another Cell Manager.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Respected Contributor..

Thank you for the document 9.07. I have read the IDB restore option. It is written as “Create a new directory to be used for the restored IDB”

After restore completes , do I need to copy the newly created folder (db80_restore\idb)  to the original location (db80\idb) ? or the DP will use the new path for its IDB ?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner

Hi Brits,

the IDB restore (DatabaseFiles part) will bring up a new PostgreSQL instance in a new directory and with a temporary port which is replaced at the very end of the process. Nothing else is requred from a user perspective. This is somewhat different from what we know from old releases.

The IDB directory structure of the DR Cell manager remains intact and is partly used. I did some tests with post-restore cleanup ages ago and shared it here. This may need adjustments for clustered environments.

Clean up after Data Protector IDB restore (Windows)
http://www.syncer.de/?p=777

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.