Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

IPC Cannot Connect error in Omniback

Good afternoon,

I'm having a problem backing up two servers in my DMZ to a tape drive located on another server in my DMZ. Here is the error message:

[Critical] From: BDA-NET@apfcurb "apfcurb /C]" Time: 5/12/2003 1:45:47 PM Cannot connect to Media Agent on system wwwsvr, port 2196 (IPC Cannot Connect System error: [10060]Connection timed out) => aborting.

[Critical] From: VBDA@apfcurb "apfcurb [/C]" Time: 5/12/2003 1:45:47 PM Unexpected close reading NET message => aborting.

My Cell manager runs on HP-UX on my internal network - port 5555 is open for traffice between the necessary servers. I have successfully tested name resolution to all servers in the DMZ (all NT 4.0) from the Cell Manager and back. I have also successfull telnetted to port 5555 to and from the Cell Manger, and between DMZ servers. I can backup data from the server on which the tape drive resides, but not from another server in the DMZ to that server.
In desperation today I removed the Omniback software completely from all servers in the DMZ, removed them from the Cell manager (tape drive also), stopped and started the Omniback service on the Cell Manager, and reinstalled everything. No luck.
So, I'm out of ideas and appreciate any idea - no matter how "out there" it seems.

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Jeff
0 Likes
7 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: IPC Cannot Connect error in Omniback

Port 5555 is only used to establish communication between agents; the tasks are then handed off to other ports. You need to define
OB2PORTRANGE=6100-6300 (or some free range of ports) in .omnirc on all these hosts and then allow the firewall to pass these ports (in addition to 5555).

If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks for the reply. It was my understanding that as long as I only back up the servers in my DMZ to a tape device also located in my DMZ, and I did not install the GUI interface on the servers, I only need port 5555 open. If this were the case, why could I back up 1 of 3 servers in the DMZ? Is it because the tape drive is installed on that server? Thanks.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

There's quite a complex flow of information between the CM, MA and DA. As Clay points out, the initial connections occur on 5555, but other connections are required for metadata, etc, and can be restricted to a range of ports. Chapter 11 of the admin guide explains this well.

Your firewall logs should show what other connections have been attempted and blocked.

hth

D
#
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Notice that port 2196 - unless your define OB2PORTRANGE, it's literally a crapshoot.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jeff,

Here is a thread I've started in the past about OB and firewalls. It enabled me to do successfull tests.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x4c918cc5e03fd6118fff0090279cd0f9,00.html

Kurt
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jeff,

Here is a thread I've started in the past about OB and firewalls. It enabled me to do successfull tests.

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x4c918cc5e03fd6118fff0090279cd0f9,00.html

Kurt
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.