Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Import VCenter 6.5 Appliance into DP 10.04

Jump to solution

I had a VCenter appliance running in data protector but then data protector had problems connecting to it.

I was told to delete the VCenter and then reimport the VCenter first as "Data Protector Client" and then again as a "VMWare VCenter" .

Now when I try to import the VCenter, I'm getting "Import host failed".

In the Details of the error message it says to :

"telnet <remote computer> 5565 " to see if it responds.

I tried telnetting to port 5565 to both the Appliance name and the ESXi that the Appliance exists on but get no response.

I do know that this Appliance did exist as a client on the Cell Manager in the recent past. Does anyone know what else I can try to get the Appliance back in the Cell Manager ?

Thanks

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Re: Import VCenter 6.5 Appliance into DP 10.04

Jump to solution

Sebastian,

Thanks for your help. I will monitor the backups and see if the error for VCenter goes away and will update this thread.

I'm also impressed with the link you mentioned. It's been updated in the future 🙂 .

"Updated on 07/03/2019"

View solution in original post

0 Likes
6 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @wbrunc,

First you need to know what port is used on the Cell Manager (see netstat -an and look for 5555 or 5565). Make sure the client is using the same port as the CM. To import the client back you need to run omnicc -secure_comm -configure_peer <CellManager> from the client before you can import the client from GUI or using omnicc -import_host <Client> from CM.

If you don't need to backup any files from the vCenter Server itself you can also import it directly to the Cell Manager without installing any agent on it. This works for the VCSA or Windows-based vCenter. Just select VMware vCenter as a type. This does not require a secure communication setup.

2019-03-19_19h16_55.png

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Port 5565 is listeningt on the CM.

I can ping the VCenter from the CM but when I try to import the VCenter using

"omnicc -import_host [vcenter name]" from the CM , I get:

Import host failed

System error: [1--6-] Connection timed out.

So I guess the next question is more of a VCenter one. How would I check that the 5565 port on a VCenter 6.5 Appliance is available?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi @wbrunc,

If this is a VCSA then you don't need to install anything. Just import as VMware vCenter from Data Protector GUI because you need to specify credentials. This can't be done from the CLI.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

I've done that but it doesn't seem to work. CM does bring in the VCenter but no "Installed Components" are shown in the client window unlike the other clients.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi @wbrunc,

This is expected for a VCSA. To configure a backup you need to install the Virtual Environment Integration to a supported Windows or Linux host. This client is used as the primary data mover for a VPEA VMware backup.

https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.02/VMwareIntegration

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Sebastian,

Thanks for your help. I will monitor the backups and see if the error for VCenter goes away and will update this thread.

I'm also impressed with the link you mentioned. It's been updated in the future 🙂 .

"Updated on 07/03/2019"

View solution in original post

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.