Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Importing Catalog for Restore

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I wanted to restore data from a session of 15th October. I checked the IDB and found that session used only one tape which was expired since the data protection of the session(backup specification) was 2 weeks only. I also checked that the tape was not overwritten thus I started the "Import Catalog" by rt. clicking the media and clicking the import catalog option.

The import catalog completed successfully and took ~14 hours to complete. Below are the logs.

"

[Normal] From: MSM@abc.xyz-domain.net "DRV1"  Time: 15.11.2013 03:51:40

Media session 2013/11/15-1 started.

[Normal] From: MMA@ abc.xyz-domain.net "DRV1"  Time: 15.11.2013 03:51:50

STARTING Media Agent "DRV1"

[Normal] From: MMA@ abc.xyz-domain.net "DRV1"  Time: 15.11.2013 03:51:52

By: UMA@pqr.xyz-domain.net@Changer0:0:0:1

Loading medium from slot 6 to device Tape0:0:0:0C

[Normal] From: MSM@abc.xyz-domain.net "DRV1"  Time: 15.11.2013 03:52:51

Data Protector medium "[BTL292L5] Free_Pool_1" found.

[Normal] From: MMA@pqr.xyz-domain.net "DRV1"  Time: 15.11.2013 18:02:47

Unloading medium to slot 6 from device Tape0:0:0:0C

[Normal] From: MMA@ pqr.xyz -domain.net "DRV1"  Time: 15.11.2013 18:03:22

COMPLETED Media Agent "DRV1"

============================================================================

1 media out of 1 successfully imported.

"

After this I went to the pool to which the tape was assigned but still I can the "Protection" column saying the tape is still "Expired" Refer attachment. When I see the objects of the that session i.e.  2013/10/15/-10 in the IDB it says that its protected for 2 weeks which was the original data and catalog protection. Refer attachment

Also when I am going to the restore windows from the scoping pane and choosing restore sessions > 2013/10/15/-10 > I am getting the previous result i.e. "You are choosing an interval which doesnt include all the sessions needed to compose a full restore chain" which was when the catalog was not imported. After that when I am clicking on "OK" in the dialog box and selecting the radio button with option "Show this session only" I am not able to browse anything. Refer attachment.

Please help me in this case.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is why I recommended that you set the protection to Permanent, so that there would be no guessing on how you need to set the protection.  After the restore is done, you can recycle the media for re-use

Regarding this:

"You have choosen an interval which doesnt include all the sessions needed to compose a full restore chain"

set your Restore Interval to None which will include all versions of this backup object currently in the IDB.  I have seen a lot of issues when trying to set a particular interval for restore.  Once you have selected what you want to restore, right-click on it, and pick Restore Version

This is even more important when considering that you are attempting an Incremental Restore

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I suggest that you Export the Media in slot 6, then, use Import, not Import Catalog

Import does a more complete job of importing the catalog.  Also, Import messages include the session being Imported

Immediately after doing the Import, make a note of the session ID that was imported, go to the Internal Database context of the GUI.  Expand Sessions, find the session that was imported, right-click on the session ID, and pick Change Data Protection. Set it to Permanent until your Restore is done, 

Do NOT import close to 12 noon, when the Daily Maintenance runs.  This looks for unprotected sessions, and, if any are found, the catalogs are deleted to save disk space. Make sure that the media is reprotected before 12 noon

Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Bob,

Do I need to recycle the media before choosing it for "Export" because I was reading the Help of HPDP in which it was written,

Prerequisite:

"Before exporting the medium you must remove its protection by recycling the medium."

Important

You should export all the media of the same backup session. If the data from the session spans several media and you only export one medium, you may not be able to restore the data. Data Protector still knows that the data exists on the media, but some media are no longer available.

Apart from the prerequisite I have checked and confirmed that the session i.e. 2013/10/15/10 from which I want to restore the data is backed up only on tape which is on slot 6.

Awaiting reply.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, if you try to Export Protected media, you will get a pop-up that reminds you that the media is still under protection, so you need to right-click it first before exporting it

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Bob,

I exported the tape and then ran an import which completed successfully. Below are the logs,

"

[Normal] From: MSM@abc.xyz-domain.net "DRV2"  Time: 19.11.2013 05:40:05

Media session 2013/11/19-1 started.

[Normal] From: MMA@ pqr.xyz -domain.net "DRV2"  Time: 19.11.2013 05:40:14

STARTING Media Agent "DRV2"

[Normal] From: MMA@ pqr.xyz -domain.net "DRV2"  Time: 19.11.2013 05:40:17

Loading medium from slot 6 to device Tape1:0:0:0C

[Normal] From: MSM@abc.xyz-domain.net "DRV2"  Time: 19.11.2013 05:41:17

Data Protector foreign medium "84427b8b:50adb342:0718:0001" found.

[Normal] From: MSM@ abc.xyz-domain.net "DRV2"  Time: 19.11.2013 05:41:28

Importing session into database: 

SessionID:   2013/10/15-10 

Owner:       NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM@abc.xyz-domain.net 

Start time:  15.10.2013 19:30:15

[Normal] From: MSM@ abc.xyz-domain.net "DRV2"  Time: 19.11.2013 06:20:17

SessionID:   2013/10/16-7 

Owner:       NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM@ abc.xyz-domain.net 

Start time:  16.10.2013 19:30:15

[Normal] From: MSM@ abc.xyz-domain.net "DRV2"  Time: 19.11.2013 10:22:37

SessionID:   2013/10/17-5 

Owner:       NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM@ abc.xyz-domain.net 

Start time:  17.10.2013 19:32:33

[Normal] From: MSM@ abc.xyz-domain.net "DRV2"  Time: 19.11.2013 12:18:25

SessionID:   2013/10/18-7 

Owner:       NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM@ abc.xyz -domain.net 

Start time:  18.10.2013 19:30:14

[Normal] From: MSM@ abc.xyz-domain.net "DRV2"  Time: 19.11.2013 14:16:15

SessionID:   2013/10/21-8 

Start time:  21.10.2013 19:34:25

[Normal] From: MSM@ abc.xyz-domain.net "DRV2"  Time: 19.11.2013 16:23:16

SessionID:   2013/10/22-11 

Start time:  22.10.2013 19:58:33

[Normal] From: MSM@ abc.xyz-domain.net "DRV2"  Time: 19.11.2013 18:15:27

SessionID:   2013/10/23-5 

Start time:  23.10.2013 19:34:48

[Normal] From: MMA@pqr.xyz-domain.net "DRV2"  Time: 19.11.2013 19:52:43

Unloading medium to slot 6 from device Tape1:0:0:0C

[Normal] From: MMA@ pqr.xyz -domain.net "DRV2"  Time: 19.11.2013 19:53:14

COMPLETED Media Agent "DRV2"

1 media out of 1 successfully imported.

============================================================================"

After this when I went to IDB to increase the data protection of session 2013/10/15-10(marked bold) since this was the session I wanted to restore but I saw that the backup objects under that session ID were already protected for 2 weeks under the column "data protection"(dont know why-refer attachment).

Still I increased the data protection to 4 weeks which can be seen in the snapshot now. After that I went to Restore Session choose that session ID i.e. 2013/10/15-10 and the clicked on 😧 after which I got the same error "You have choosen an interval which doesnt include all the sessions needed to compose a full restore chain" after that I am selecting the radio button "Show this session only" which doesnt allow me to browse the directory.

But since the import session imported other sessions also from 15-18October  and 21-23 october I tried for the 18th Oct session i.e. 2013/10/18-7  for which I was able to browse the directories in the restore sessions window. However a lot of data is still left to be restored.

@Bob: Since I have imported the tape but getting the above error(marked bold) could you please help me understand why I am getting the above error?

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Can you show/tell us what is the 'backup type' for this session? Is it full or incremental?

Why are you certain that only one tape was used for this session?

If one or more of sessions tapes are reused it does not show up in session properties 'Media' tab. Maybe only one of this sessions tape was not reused.

Can you post a screenshot of Objects tab of this tape from Devices & Media View?

What does it show in column "All Media Available" for session 2013/10/15-10?

Session's protection values in Sessions view does not show remaining protection. It shows initial protection value when it was backed up if you didn't change it. In this case you increased sessions protection to 4 weeks which have actually already passed since your backup was done in 15th of October.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
KasparsB,

The backup type was incremental.
I am certain that the session ID 2013/10/15-10 used only one media i.e. BTL292L5 which is visible in the media tab of sessions properties window. However this tape contains backup of other sessions also which is evident from the import logs above.

Screenshot I will be posting tomorrow.

I agree on the point that the session doesnt show the remaining data protection but in this case since I have increased the data protection by 4 weeks today(20th Nov.) thus isn't the data protection should be counted 4 weeks from 20th Nov i.e. 18th Dec 2013 as per my understanding.

Correct me if I am wrong?

But my concern here is that I have imported the whole tape which took ~14hrs 10 mins still I am not able to view the desired directory in the restore sessions window and getting the pop up "You have choosen an interval which doesnt include all the sessions needed to compose a full restore chain"

Refer the 3rd attachment in my 3rd post for the error.

What is this error exactly and is it still possible to restore?
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is why I recommended that you set the protection to Permanent, so that there would be no guessing on how you need to set the protection.  After the restore is done, you can recycle the media for re-use

Regarding this:

"You have choosen an interval which doesnt include all the sessions needed to compose a full restore chain"

set your Restore Interval to None which will include all versions of this backup object currently in the IDB.  I have seen a lot of issues when trying to set a particular interval for restore.  Once you have selected what you want to restore, right-click on it, and pick Restore Version

This is even more important when considering that you are attempting an Incremental Restore

View solution in original post

Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Thanks Bob for the clarification.

I will keep this thing in mind for the above error and try to restore via filesystem option and not via restore sessions.
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi,

Was your restore successful?

It counts data protection from backup time.

To be absolutely sure that data is under protection you should use option 'permanent' or 'until'.

Importing tapes is usually time consuming. In your case it is LTO5, and 14hrs for importion is normal by my experience.

Regards to "You have choosen an interval which doesnt include all the sessions needed to compose a full restore chain" - I think that it requires a previous full or incremental backup for which protection is also expired.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
@KasparsB

No it was not.

That means if I have imported a session that was backed up on 15th Oct and then raised its data protection by 4 weeks then it would expire on 12th Nov, correct?

Thanks for answering all my queries
0 Likes
Ensign Ensign
Ensign

Is there any way how to stop or pause Daily maintenance ? 

If you importing media for 14-16 hours it can be very helpfull option.

Thnak you,

Kamil

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.