Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Is DP V 9 Stable

Hi ,

Currently we are using DP 7.03 ( Windows Cell manager )  in our environment with around 50 clients AIX ,HPUX , Linux found no issues .

But now we are thinking of upgrading to latest version ?

Is it a wise choice ?

0 Likes
9 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..

From my point of view... no. We had problemes with Advanced Scheduler, sproradic crashes, not correctly set protection times etc. We are currently in the bloody migration of 7.x to 9.03. And it's no fun.

Highlighted
Absent Member..

Hi all,

from my point of view and experience. DP 9.03 is a stable version.

When you plan to migrate you should consider to "clean" the old IDB from obsolete information.

And, you should run a direct upgrade to 9.03. The trick here: Install a temporary installation server 9.0, install patch bundle 9.03 and then use the installation folder in depots for the upgrade.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...
Highlighted
Absent Member..

From my experience DP9 is far from being stable.

Did a new Installation in December with v9.02 and took us 2 Business Escalations and around 2 dozen Hotfixes to somewhat get the Env running stable in May (around 30 Windows/Linux Clients, Exchange 2013, MSSQL, VMware).

If you can, do a clean install on a new CellServer and slowly migrate your Clients and long-term media over.

Even with many improvements to the Upgrade-Process over the last Patchbundles it is still very tricky and prone to errors.

Highlighted
Contributor.. Contributor..
Contributor..

did an upgrade from 7.03 to 9.0 and then install patchbundle 9.02. some weeks later to 9.03. we have about 60 clients we backup. most backups are file backup and exchange 2010 online backup. havent had any problem at all! but it might depend  a bit of what you backup. file and exchange are running fine in my opinion.

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Version 9.0x is getting more and more mature. Especially with 9.03 and 9.04 most of the previous issues have been resolved. You can see that HP is using this release to stabilize the product before moving on. I'm in the process of migrating all of my customers to version 9.0x. The amount of additional quick fixes has been reduced from serveral dozen (with 9.02) to zero with 9.04.

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

sounds promising, currently waiting on how stable 9.04 really is and hope most of our hotfixes (around 30) are incooperated. IDB Performance on 9.02 was pretty bad (f.E. omnidbutil -info taking 2min), hope they improved on that as well.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

All fixes are documented in the A.09.04 release notes of the patch bundle. You should review the list of your test modules before you apply it. Have everything ported in advance that is not listed. Please note that the QCCR IDs might vary depending on how provided the module. Sometimes the module is named with the internal QCIM or QCCR numbers.

https://softwaresupport.hp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM01769073

https://softwaresupport.hp.com/group/softwaresupport/search-result/-/facetsearch/document/KM01769145

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..

Thanks for the Hint, already aware of that. Planned to resolve my still open DP9 cases, collect summary of Fixes (Brick is helpful with that, DP-Patch-Check sometimes omits Hotfixes) and let my Findings from the ReleaseNotes be verified by HP Support before requesting Upgrade for the remaining fixes.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Chindi,

I would say 9.02/9.03 are pretty good.  Yeah, there were some bugs early on, but I've only had to apply two hotfixes to stabilize my environment.  One was a probelm writing to Catalyst stores and the other was reading drive info from the VM integration.  I have 239 clients and more being added, along with a decent sized VM environment I'm getting with the VM integration.

That said, I did NOT do a 7 to 9 upgrade.  I decided that we needed a clean start.  The 7 environment was originally a 5.0 or 5.1 environment and had been continually upgraded through 5.5, 6.0, 6.1, 6.2 (argh), and then 7.  That was about 8 years old with a lot of associated crud that just needed to be eliminated.

The 7 environment is dying off naturally as tapes expire while the 9 environment is taking all the new stuff.  We're also collapsing about 20 smaller cells into the new 9 cell and we haven't had any problems with that, either.

I have NOT applied 9.04 anywhere yet, so I can't speak to that one.

HTH

Ken

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.