Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Is it possible to connect DP host to SAN network?

Jump to solution
Tell me please is it possible to connect Server DataProtector Cell installed to SAN network directly under win2003?
I found the following information in HP Product Bulletin - select WoldWide, next go to Storage product -> Storage Software -> ILM Software -> DataProtector -> QuickSpec, seek section "Configuration Information" then look for string *SAN support (with the Cell Manager for HP-UX, Solaris) in subsection "includes the license for". What does it mean? 1) that DP host cannot be connected to SAN network directly under win2003? 2) It is possible to connect DP host to SAN network without license, license only needed for HP-UX and Solaris?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,

There may be some misunderstandings.

"Why do i need buy an additional B6953AA license? Bulletin says that "B6951xx contains 1xB6953AA"...

Do i undenstand you correctly? If I want to settle DP host (under win2003) in SAN network I need only B6953AA license. Will it be able to manage and control process of copying data(backup) from SAN network (for example from MSA 1000) to Tape library connected dierctly to DP host through SCSI U320?"

SAN support in DP only refers to backup devices (e.g. librarys). DP do not bother (or know) if the sorce data is located on a SAN or a local disk.

So, if you use a local attached library you don't need any SAN support.

If you use a SAN-attached library:

- SAN support is included in the HP-UX and Solaris starter packs (which is more expensive).
- For Windows you have to buy an additional B6953AA license to get SAN support.

- B6953AA license. SAN support. Included in Unix starter pack.
- B6963AA license. Not SAN support. Included in Windows starter pack.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,
It means that you need a different licence to connect a Windows cell manager (or client) to a SAN (B6951AA or B6953AA)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
But how to explain string "SAN support (with the Cell Manager for HP-UX, Solaris)" Windows does not mentoined!!! I see that I need deferent licenses fo Solaris, Hp-UÑ and Windows, but why in string SAN SUPPORT Windows OS is absent ? Is it cannot been connected directly to SAN under Win2003?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,

In fact, SAN support is not bound to the Cell Manager license, rather to the Drive license.

In the Quickspec you can find the following:

"one drive license (B6951xx contains 1xB6953AA, and B6961xx contains 1xB6963AA)"

SAN support needs the B6953AA license (which is not included in the Windows starter pack)

So, you need to buy an additional B6953AA license.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Step 1 â Starter Packs

License Only

for HP-UÐ¥ = B6951BA
for Sun Solaris = B6951CA
for Windows = B6961BA
for Linux = B6961CA

Manuals Only â Starter Pack

English = B6960LA
Japanese = B6960LJ
French = B6960LF
Includes the license for:

* one Cell Manager on the specified platform
* unlimited number of Backup Agents on any platform
* !!!!one drive license (B6951xx contains 1xB6953AA, and B6961xx contains 1xB6963AA)
* built in media management
* libraries up to 60 slots
* System Disaster Recovery options
* sophisticated reporting (in Data Protector GUI and via the web)
* SAN support (with the Cell Manager for HP-UX, Solaris)
* service-centric management through integrations into HP OpenView

Do i undenstand you correctly? If I want to settle DP host (under win2003) in SAN network I need only B6953AA license. Will it be able to manage and control process of copying data(backup) from SAN network (for example from MSA 1000) to Tape library connected dierctly to DP host through SCSI U320?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,

There may be some misunderstandings.

"Why do i need buy an additional B6953AA license? Bulletin says that "B6951xx contains 1xB6953AA"...

Do i undenstand you correctly? If I want to settle DP host (under win2003) in SAN network I need only B6953AA license. Will it be able to manage and control process of copying data(backup) from SAN network (for example from MSA 1000) to Tape library connected dierctly to DP host through SCSI U320?"

SAN support in DP only refers to backup devices (e.g. librarys). DP do not bother (or know) if the sorce data is located on a SAN or a local disk.

So, if you use a local attached library you don't need any SAN support.

If you use a SAN-attached library:

- SAN support is included in the HP-UX and Solaris starter packs (which is more expensive).
- For Windows you have to buy an additional B6953AA license to get SAN support.

- B6953AA license. SAN support. Included in Unix starter pack.
- B6963AA license. Not SAN support. Included in Windows starter pack.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Ok thank you for you patience :). If it possible maybe you give me your E-mail I send you a piece of projected map, and we destroy all misunderstandings :). Sorry for bothering you.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.