Adam Garsha Contributor.
Contributor.

Issues with 9.09 -> 10.50 upgrade documentation

Jump to solution

We have a RHEL 6 DP 9.09 cell manager that we are upgrading to 10.50, the installation server for linux is installed on the same host as cell manager and of course the windows installation server is installed on another host. For the linux cell manager and installation server I have read conflicting comments in the 10.50 upgrade documentation. Namely, I have read:

First, I have read:

"Linux:
-- The Installation Server is upgraded manually before the Cell Manager upgrade.
-- Upgrade of Cell Manager happens through Installation Server.
-- After the upgrade of Linux Installation Server, on the Installation Server host configure
encryption for the cell manager using the following command:
omnicc -secure_comm -configure_peer {Hostname1 [HostName2 ...]} [-accept_host]
-- Once secure communication is configured, import the Installation Server using Data
Protector GUI or CLI."

But then later I read:

"If the Linux Installation Server is installed together with the Cell Manager, it is upgraded
automatically when the omnisetup.sh command is executed."

So my first question is which is correct? I believe the second one is and that when I run omnisetup.sh, both the cell manager and installation server will be automatically upgraded since they are on the same host. Am I correct in this interpretation?

Next, for my windows installation server which is separate from the linux cell manager. I have read that I need to run the \Windows\x8664\setup.exe. And I am wondering if I need to run an "omnicc -secure_com" command on the windows installation server and then reimport the system into the cell and/or what the steps are to upgrade the windows installation server?

Namely, the documentation is not very clear on how I upgrade the windows installation server after I've completed upgrading the linux cell-manager/installation server. Can you please provide steps? Namely, do I need to attack the windows installation server like a local install like this:

-- export the windows installation server from the cell
-- run \Windows\x8664\setup.exe and choose installation server and client components
-- Configure client for import
"The procedure is applicable only when the Cell Manager name is not specified during local installation. After the local installation is complete, execute the following command on the client side: omnicc –secure_comm –configure_peer . This configures the client with Cell Manager certificate. This is mandatory step for locally installed clients. This command is also required for re-importing a deleted client. The command prompts y/n option for displaying Cell Managers certificate fingerprint. Enter y to successfully complete the configuration. If you want to configure the client without any validation, then append the following command with -accept_host command: omnicc –secure_comm –configure_peer -accept_host The console does not prompt for y/n option when accept_host command is used."
-- import client via cli on cell manager side

OR instead... do I just run the setup.exe and I will be prompted during the upgrade to tell of the hostname of the linux cell manager? In short, what are the (easiest) steps to upgrade a windows installation server when the cell manager is linux?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Issues with 9.09 -> 10.50 upgrade documentation

Jump to solution

Hello @Adam Garsha

The installation pack detects what components you have installed. In your CM, this will detect that is CM and IS and will upgrade both. 

In your Windows client/IS, is the same. When you run the installer it will identify and upgrade both components.

In your Windows client/IS, the CM's certificate will be imported automatically, but you will need to run the -secure_comm command in the CM pointing to the Windows server. Then, run omnicc -update_host hostname so the client will be updated in the CM information. Then, export the IS and import it again to have the correct version. 

Regards,  

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Adam Garsha Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

I got confirmation that if the cell manager and installation server are on the same host that I can just run omnisetup and not worry about anything else. I am still wondering what the proper thing to do is for the windows installation server (which I would upgrade subsequently). 

I believe that I probably only need to run the setup.exe and choose installation server (and perhaps gui client) and then it should ask me for the name of the cell manager, but I am not sure if I need to export the host prior to upgrade or not.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @Adam Garsha

The installation pack detects what components you have installed. In your CM, this will detect that is CM and IS and will upgrade both. 

In your Windows client/IS, is the same. When you run the installer it will identify and upgrade both components.

In your Windows client/IS, the CM's certificate will be imported automatically, but you will need to run the -secure_comm command in the CM pointing to the Windows server. Then, run omnicc -update_host hostname so the client will be updated in the CM information. Then, export the IS and import it again to have the correct version. 

Regards,  

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.

View solution in original post

Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @Adam Garsha,

@Adam Garsha wrote:

I got confirmation that if the cell manager and installation server are on the same host that I can just run omnisetup and not worry about anything else

This is correct. omnisetup.sh detect everything installed and upgrades in-place.

I am still wondering what the proper thing to do is for the windows installation server (which I would upgrade subsequently). 

I believe that I probably only need to run the setup.exe and choose installation server (and perhaps gui client) and then it should ask me for the name of the cell manager, but I am not sure if I need to export the host prior to upgrade or not.

Basically the same as for omnisetup.sh. After upgrading the Cell Manager, run setup.exe on the Installation Server host and select next, next, finish to upgrade. All locally installed components (e.g. Disk Agent, GUI, etc.) including the Installation Server are detected and upgraded.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.