Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Trusted Contributor.. quiz Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

LTO4 tape life cycle

Jump to solution

Hi all,

I use LTO4 tapes for backup (quite intensive) not for archive. How often shall I change LTO4 tapes? What is your experience about LTO4 life cycle?

Thanks a lot

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: LTO4 tape life cycle

Jump to solution

Hi quiz,

according to the vendors or LTO drives and media you should not exceed 250 full overwrites. If you're using it extensive this will happen somewhere in a 24-60 month time frame. By default Data Protector will enforce this 250 overwrite limit (Media Pool options) and also mark the tape Fair/Poor after 36 month.  I usually adjust this time to 60 month. Be careful when you re-format existing tapes, since this information will be lost.

Please use the Accept Solution button next to my post and assign a KUDO (thumbs up icon) if this works for you.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi quiz,

according to the vendors or LTO drives and media you should not exceed 250 full overwrites. If you're using it extensive this will happen somewhere in a 24-60 month time frame. By default Data Protector will enforce this 250 overwrite limit (Media Pool options) and also mark the tape Fair/Poor after 36 month.  I usually adjust this time to 60 month. Be careful when you re-format existing tapes, since this information will be lost.

Please use the Accept Solution button next to my post and assign a KUDO (thumbs up icon) if this works for you.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---

View solution in original post

Trusted Contributor.. quiz Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi Sebastian,

thank you very much for answear.

I suppose that number of full overwites and number of partial writes I can discover by commnad

omnimm -media_info <tape > -detail

as

Number of writes
Number of overwrites

Is it right?

Regards

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

If you usually append to a tape until it becomes full a full write is the number of overwrites.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.