DiAc Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

LTO7 Tapes BLANK or UNKNOWN after drive error

Jump to solution

Hello!

After an error or an issue with a LTO7 drive ( which is meanwhile replaced ) I had 2 tapes with format BLANK and 1 with format UNKNOWN.

Slot [side] Medium type Medium Label (ID)
==============================================================
1 Data Protector [ACA662L7] ACA662L7
2 Unknown [ACA661L7]
3 Data Protector [ACA660L7] ACA660L7
4 Data Protector [ACA659L7] ACA659L7
5 Data Protector [ACA658L7] ACA658L7
6 Data Protector [ACA667L7] ACA667L7
7 Blank [ACA666L7]
8 Blank [ACA665L7]
9 Data Protector [ACA664L7] ACA664L7

The tapes are inside our MSl6480 library, but from the pools view they are not, see attached screenshot.

There are backed-up data on them!

How can I make them work with Data Protector ( 9.07_110 ) again? HPE support has no suggestion yet.

Any ideas how to solve my trouble?

Best regards, Dirk

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: LTO7 Tapes BLANK or UNKNOWN after drive error

Jump to solution

Hi Dirk,

Did you already try to scan the tape? They probably went blank because the drive failed to read the header when they were tried to be used. But if they weren't touched and in a healthy state then a scan of the slot should resolve your problem.

Koen

View solution in original post

0 Likes
3 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Dirk,

Did you already try to scan the tape? They probably went blank because the drive failed to read the header when they were tried to be used. But if they weren't touched and in a healthy state then a scan of the slot should resolve your problem.

Koen

View solution in original post

0 Likes
mihaib200 Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

Jump to solution

Also, a restart of Tape library won't hurt i suppose. See this once with a Tape Library, but there all the media were reported as Unknown. A restart of the library resolved this.

0 Likes
Highlighted
DiAc Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hello Koen,

thank you for your proposal, it works!

I've never scanned a single tape before , so I didn't know that this is an option to handle tapes with this status.

Best regards,    Dirk

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.