Highlighted
Absent Member.. Emil Henry Absent Member..
Absent Member..

License Problem with the Migration from 7 to 9.0

Hi!

We purchased Omniback in 1997, as part of the HP-UX environment we had then. We have had Omniback/DP under HP Support Contact since then. We have done the migrations, rehosting, etc. without any issues (HP reissued the new licenses). Our environment is pretty small, with about 20 Windows and Linux servers, and 3 ESXI servers (running about 20 virtual machines). We have 2 EVA 4400's and just purchased a HP 3PAR. We were running Data Protector 7 till recently, and decided to skip 8, and go straight to 9. We kept a copy of all the files from before the upgrade. The upgrade went fine. Only after the 60-day trial licenses ran out that the backups of the virtual machines stopped. Checked the manual (RTFM comes to mind) and realized that the licenses need to be migrated. Below are the licenses that we had.

Cell Manager Single Drive for UNIX B6951AA

Single Drive for UNIX/NAS/SAN B6953AA

On-Line Extension for ONE UNIX System B6955AA

Extension for ONE 61-250 Slot Library for UNIX B6957AA

HP Licensing issued licenses for the first two items (B6951AA and B6953AA). They said that what we were paying for the last 17 years does not entitle us to upgrade the last two (B6955AA and B6957AA). We paid for what HP said that we should, and nothing less. I am getting desperate as at the moment my virtual machines have not been backed up in about 5 months.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Thanks,

Emil  

0 Likes
8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: License Problem with the Migration from 7 to 9.0

Hey Emil,

based on your description I guess that you have an active contract with HP that contains only B6951AA and B6953AA. Only items in the contract will be available for migration from the old OVkey3 to the new OVkey4 format. You get what you pay for.

If B6955AA and B6957AA are not in the contract then consider pruchasing new licenses, if they are still needed. B6965BA could save you some money, since it is sufficient for VMware backups.

Regards,

Sebastian

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi Sebastian!

Thank you for the response. We paid for what HP quoted us, and they knew exactly what we had. I honestly paid it, and didn't have any reason to double-check if it covered all the items or not. HP normally lists only the main product, and everything under it is covered.

From the forums, I see that I should try to keep B6955AA, as it is not per host licensing.

What makes it interesting is that why it has become an issue now, as they did lots of migrations and rehosting without a problem in the past.

Regards,

Emil

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

As a partner of HP I see plenty HP hardware/software contracts and they include a detailed list of all items including a price for each single item. Please request the full contract including details. If the items are missing, they are probabily missing since years and you've saved some money. But this means you need to purchase the needed licenses. If they are in the contract, you paid for them and HP will issue the licenses accordingly.

Previous license migrations based on activated licenses rather than active contracts. This was insane and had a high potential for abuse which has been resolved. This is just fair for all customers that pay for the product.

Time have changed since Omniback 3.x where B6955AA was an unlimited client license. Can't remember exactly when this happend, but old B6955AA licenses have changed to B6955BA to match the changed license terms. This was also done for Multi-Drive licenses, Slot libraries licenses and other a long time ago (Data Protector A.06.20).

Regards,

Sebastian

---
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi Sebastian!

Thank you for the info. Until I find the funding, would I be able to use my previous licenses with verion 8.0? I think that if one went to 8.1, the licensing changed.

Regards,

Emil

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Version A.08.00 still accepts the old keys. The version is not considered stable and should not be used unless you have to. In case you're running A.08.10 or A.09.00 you could request emergency keys from support or your reseller.

Regard,
Sebastian
---
0 Likes
Absent Member.. svollrat Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Just wanna throw it out there: we had similar issues with HP. Licensing and Support Departments use different Databases to track what the Customer has and in our case they screwed up pretty badly.

We had to purchase the same Unlimited Slot Licenses three times in the end and it took us half a year, many mail-battles, conference calls and digging for old certificates to get a correct baseline.

Recommendation from that: always request a detailed listing of all contained items when you extend your support contract. With that you at least have a chance to compare the total amount of what you purchased to what HP things you have.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Thanks Sebastian for the info. I may just go back to the 7.0 version till this gets resolved.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi svollrat!

Thank you for the info. Agreed. I have been working with HP servers for about 20 years, and have about 600 Z class workstations at the moment that I am responsible for. We have so much HP stuff, that people would think that there is no other brand available. I thought they had their act together, and have not been burnt like this before. Lesson learnt. 🙂

Regards,

Emil

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.