Absent Member.. BackupDude Absent Member..
Absent Member..

License issue

Jump to solution

Hi guys,

I have a license issue for DP 7.01.

Cell server - Win 2003 - DP 7.01.

Client - SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 11 (x86_64) with these packages installed:

OB2-DB2-A.07.00-1
OB2-CORE-A.07.00-1
OB2-CC-A.07.00-1
OB2-DA-A.07.00-1
OB2-INTEG-A.07.00-1

DB2 v9.7.0.7

We have 2 "On-line Extension for ONE Windows / Linux system" licenses but when I start the full online backup for DB2 I get this message:

[Warning] From: BSM@XXXXXXXX Time: 31.10.2013 12:26:36
License not available "On-line Extension for ONE UNIX system"

Any idea why it is asing for UNIX license and not Linux one?

- I checked the support matrix and the SUSE/DB2 version combination is supported.

- server name in the backup definition and in the cell_info file is the same.

Anybody has any idea on what I should check next?

I will wait a while and then open a support case with HP if we don't find this by ourselves.

Thanks.

Tags (1)
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: License issue

Jump to solution

I think that the answer to this is going to be found in the file

Program Files -> Omniback -> Config -> Server -> Cell -> cell_info

Thi is a list of all your clients (this is where the Clients context in the gUI gets its information), and the components installed on each

In this file, after the hostname, the type of client system is specified, for example, something like

more cell_info
-host "deno1.americas.hpqcorp.net" -os "microsoft amd64 wNT-6.1-W" -mac ac162d5db05 -cc A.06.20 -da A.06.20
-host "dpalfrp5.atl.hp.com" -os "hp s800 hp-ux-11.23" -core A.06.20 -integ A.0611 -cs A.06.20 -da A.06.20 -ma A.06.20 -cc A.06.20 -oracle8 A.06.20

The first line represents a Windows system with only the User INterface, and a Disk Agent installed

The second line shows 'oracle8' component ( this can be any version of Oracle, this is jsut what DP calls the component) installed on a HPUX 11.23 system.  This would require a OnLine extension license, whether or not it is actually used.  You want to check to see show many UNIX/Linux servers have an Application component, like 'db2' installed

If everything is found to be correct here, I found a lab case where DP seems to be having an issue with Linux 3 kernel version with the Backup Session Manager (BSM) not recognizing this kernel version as a Linux machine

Check the cell_info file to see if your Linux server has this in the '-os' field

"gpl x86_64 linux-3.0.13-0.27-default"

If it does, change it to "gpl x86_64 linux-2.6.16.60-0.21-smp", and see if the problem goes away

This problem was reported in DP 6.2x and was patched to include DP 7.01, but I found that it was included in the patch bundle for 7.03

Change Request: QCCR2A38378
  The Data Protector licensing module does not recognize
  Linux kernel 3.x systems.

I would suggest that you download this patch bundle from

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/patches

Use the directions in the Patch description to install the patch bundle, and distribute it out to all of your clients, including the Cell Manager, by right-clicking on a Client (in the Client context) and picing Upgrade

4 Replies
Bob_Clark Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution

I think that the answer to this is going to be found in the file

Program Files -> Omniback -> Config -> Server -> Cell -> cell_info

Thi is a list of all your clients (this is where the Clients context in the gUI gets its information), and the components installed on each

In this file, after the hostname, the type of client system is specified, for example, something like

more cell_info
-host "deno1.americas.hpqcorp.net" -os "microsoft amd64 wNT-6.1-W" -mac ac162d5db05 -cc A.06.20 -da A.06.20
-host "dpalfrp5.atl.hp.com" -os "hp s800 hp-ux-11.23" -core A.06.20 -integ A.0611 -cs A.06.20 -da A.06.20 -ma A.06.20 -cc A.06.20 -oracle8 A.06.20

The first line represents a Windows system with only the User INterface, and a Disk Agent installed

The second line shows 'oracle8' component ( this can be any version of Oracle, this is jsut what DP calls the component) installed on a HPUX 11.23 system.  This would require a OnLine extension license, whether or not it is actually used.  You want to check to see show many UNIX/Linux servers have an Application component, like 'db2' installed

If everything is found to be correct here, I found a lab case where DP seems to be having an issue with Linux 3 kernel version with the Backup Session Manager (BSM) not recognizing this kernel version as a Linux machine

Check the cell_info file to see if your Linux server has this in the '-os' field

"gpl x86_64 linux-3.0.13-0.27-default"

If it does, change it to "gpl x86_64 linux-2.6.16.60-0.21-smp", and see if the problem goes away

This problem was reported in DP 6.2x and was patched to include DP 7.01, but I found that it was included in the patch bundle for 7.03

Change Request: QCCR2A38378
  The Data Protector licensing module does not recognize
  Linux kernel 3.x systems.

I would suggest that you download this patch bundle from

http://support.openview.hp.com/selfsolve/patches

Use the directions in the Patch description to install the patch bundle, and distribute it out to all of your clients, including the Cell Manager, by right-clicking on a Client (in the Client context) and picing Upgrade

Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Hi,

You are right, this was there:

"gpl x86_64 linux-3.0.51-0.7.9-default"

I saw your reply minutes after I opened the support case to HP, **bleep**.

Thank you and I will update the thread after patching.

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

Manually changing in the cell_info file 3 to 2 does the trick.

So from this:

"gpl x86_64 linux-3.0.51-0.7.9-default"

I changed it to this:

"gpl x86_64 linux-2.0.51-0.7.9-default"

No more license problem after.

I will wait to see also what HP support will recommend for this. I dont really like to temper with the config files.

BR

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution

To finish the thread.

HP replied the same thing, to upgrade to 7.03 so I will keep the cell_info file modified manually until I get an upgrade window.

Thanks!

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.