Les Crisps Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Long Term Data Storage in Cloud Bank

Jump to solution

Hello,

We are moving our long term backups from tape to Cloud Bank and I'm having a crisis
of confidence in how this works.
I'm used to having fully hydrated data on tape with no dependencies on de-dupe algorithms.
So, I have a Full backup on a physical StoreOnce and it will be de-duped to some degree.
I then copy (using replication) this data to Cloud Bank with a longer retention and the original data expires.
Is the Cloud Bank data fully independent of the original data and valid for restores?
More fundamentally I suppose is, is a de-duped data set independent and valid.
I suppose data on tape still needs hardware to read it as much as de-duped data needs the StoreOnce and its algorithms.

Many thanks.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Long Term Data Storage in Cloud Bank

Jump to solution

Hello @Les Crisps,

No need to worry. Once you understand the principles of Cloud Bank you will find it similar easy to handle.

@Les Crisps wrote:

So, I have a Full backup on a physical StoreOnce and it will be de-duped to some degree.
I then copy (using replication) this data to Cloud Bank with a longer retention and the original data expires.
Is the Cloud Bank data fully independent of the original data and valid for restores?
I suppose data on tape still needs hardware to read it as much as de-duped data needs the StoreOnce and its algorithms.

As you know the StoreOnce Cloud Bank store similar to a regular StoreOnce Catalyst store on the appliance. The most important difference is, that you can't backup directly to a Cloud Bank store.

To move data to the cloud you need to perform a replication from the regular StoreOnce Catalyst store to the Cloud Bank store. Similar to replication the source and destination store does not need to reside on the same appliance. Replication to a Cloud Bank store applies additional data reduction to the data received before uploading to the cloud. Mandatory metadata is kept in the Cloud Bank store to enable fast lookups and store references. Backup data and a copy of the metadata is stored in the cloud (for possible re-attach in case the appliance fails).

You have two options to restore from Cloud Bank. There is a Direct restore (directly from cloud) and a Optimised restore (replicate back to a regular StoreOnce Catalyst store, restore from there). See this document for details.

You can recycle the original backup data once it has replicated to the Cloud Bank store. Keeping some data in the regular Catalyst stores enables Optimised restores and reduces amount of data required to be downloaded during restore.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
2 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hello @Les Crisps,

No need to worry. Once you understand the principles of Cloud Bank you will find it similar easy to handle.

@Les Crisps wrote:

As you know the StoreOnce Cloud Bank store similar to a regular StoreOnce Catalyst store on the appliance. The most important difference is, that you can't backup directly to a Cloud Bank store.

To move data to the cloud you need to perform a replication from the regular StoreOnce Catalyst store to the Cloud Bank store. Similar to replication the source and destination store does not need to reside on the same appliance. Replication to a Cloud Bank store applies additional data reduction to the data received before uploading to the cloud. Mandatory metadata is kept in the Cloud Bank store to enable fast lookups and store references. Backup data and a copy of the metadata is stored in the cloud (for possible re-attach in case the appliance fails).

You have two options to restore from Cloud Bank. There is a Direct restore (directly from cloud) and a Optimised restore (replicate back to a regular StoreOnce Catalyst store, restore from there). See this document for details.

You can recycle the original backup data once it has replicated to the Cloud Bank store. Keeping some data in the regular Catalyst stores enables Optimised restores and reduces amount of data required to be downloaded during restore.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
Les Crisps Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Jump to solution

Thank you @Sebastian.Koehler for your advice and the link.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.