Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Jimbob_4 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

MAXBSESSIONS & Licensing

Jump to solution
Hi I have a couple of question's regarding changing the value of MAXBSESSIONs in the global options file.

We have a tape library with four drives and a file also with four drives. MAXBSESSIONS is set to the default of 5. So only 5 jobs run at a time and all of the drives never get used at the same time.

If I set MAXBSESSIONS to 8 will it possible for all 8 drives to be used at the same time? Or will I have a problem about my licenses. Also where do I find out how many drives I am licensed for and are the drives in the file library licensed the same way as the tape library?

Any Help would be greatly appriciated
James
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
RoMa64 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: MAXBSESSIONS & Licensing

Jump to solution
Hi James,

in the GUI go to help and then about.There you'll find your licenses.MaxBsessions is there to arrange how many sessions can run next to eachother,it can be that all the 8 drives will be used then.

Regards,
Robert
If you're out there you're vulnerable. People prefer to disappear in life , to repress their personality. That's not living,it's dying. I see them all over the place, the walking dead.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
RoMa64 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi James,

in the GUI go to help and then about.There you'll find your licenses.MaxBsessions is there to arrange how many sessions can run next to eachother,it can be that all the 8 drives will be used then.

Regards,
Robert
If you're out there you're vulnerable. People prefer to disappear in life , to repress their personality. That's not living,it's dying. I see them all over the place, the walking dead.

View solution in original post

Jimbob_4 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks Robert

I have the following licenses installed.

Cell Manager for Windows 1
Advanced Backup to disk 2
Single Drive for UNIX/NAS/SAN 2
Online Extension for ONE Windows/Linux system 6

Every other license had a value of 0.

I am a complete novice here so sorry are the "Advanced Backup to disk" related to the file library? And are the "Single Drive for UNIX/NAS/SAN" & "Online Extension for ONE Windows/Linux system" related to the drives 6+2=8.

Is what you are saying about the MAXBSESSIONS variable is that it can be increased without worring about licenses i.e. the jobs will just queue and wait for a license to become available.

Thanks
James
0 Likes
RoMa64 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi James,

yes you can expand the maxbsessions without a worry(until 50 sessions i believe,depends on the power of your CM as well)
The advance backup to disk is in relation with a Virtual Tape Library and your sum about the drives is right,you have 8 licenses for drives.

Regards,
Robert
Jimbob_4 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks your help Robert I will let you know how it works out.

Thanks
James
0 Likes
RoMa64 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi James,

glad i could help,let me know the outcome.

Regards,
Robert
Jimbob_4 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Sorry about this but I just have one more question. If I change the value of MAXBSESSIONS will I have to restart Data Protector (we have it running on Windows).

0 Likes
RoMa64 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
James,

once you change something in the global file you need to restart DP(omnisv -stop-->omnisv -start)
Jimbob_4 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi Robert

The change worked fine, only got to put it in place yesterday with change control and all that. I ran a session flow report and I can see that 8 sessions ran in parrallel. Also another report has shown me that the device utilization has increased.

Thanks for your help
James
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.