Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Media Protection, DP 6.11

Jump to solution
Hello, I have to create a new task for the backup task, and set data protect on the several of days. Specially for this task, i am create junbox device and added media to him. Media protect moves after the performance of objectives of the backup task, and after expiration of a few days, the media is overfilled. Question, whether it is possible to specify to the task, that task rewrite information on media, whose term of protection has expired? Now i'm clearing media by hand, after the overflow.

Thanks, for your replies.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Contributor.. Contributor..
Contributor..
hi

no, dp does only overwrite data if the last/longest proteced session is expired. so if you have 10 sessions on a tape and 9 are expired, those data does not get overwritten until the last session got expired.

regards
andre

View solution in original post

0 Likes
4 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
Hi,

Make sure that there are no backups (or parts of backups) left in your media (virtual tapess). Data Protector will not re-use a medium that contains (parts of) sessions. Try to recycle your virtual tape and see what happens...

Regards
0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.. Contributor..
Contributor..
hi

no, dp does only overwrite data if the last/longest proteced session is expired. so if you have 10 sessions on a tape and 9 are expired, those data does not get overwritten until the last session got expired.

regards
andre

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.
Sounds like you want to use a File Library (not to be confused with a File Device/Juke Box).

It automatically creates (small) media when you start writing and automatically removes the media (files from disk) once their contents have been expired.

Only downside is that you need an extra license, but I was able to justify that because we didn't have to do special manual handling, scripting & testing. Only set up the Data Protector backup specifications and DP does all the maintanance (create/write/delete).
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Thanks for your replies, seems we need to buy a new autoloader for this task.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.