Contributor.
Contributor.

Migrate from DP 6.10 (Windows 2008) to DP 10.x (Windows 2016)

Jump to solution

Hi,

Currently planning to build a new Windows 2016 server and configure DP 10.6 to take over from the current Windows 2008 server with DP 6.10.

I've been trying to find a way to migrate the internal DB and backup policies over to the new server. It'll be using a new FQDN instead of re-using the old name as we'll be placing the new server in a new domain. However, I can't seem to find an easier way other than to redo each policy from scratch since the current version is pretty old.

If I deploy the new server's HP DP agents to the old server, would it stop the current backup?

Would it be possible to configure the new backup server first before cutover?

Any help would be truly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Migrate from DP 6.10 (Windows 2008) to DP 10.x (Windows 2016)

Jump to solution

Hello @JTan

You can still use it, but the problem is that data will not be sync so there will be a mismatch in the data. But maybe you can use just a part of the tapes to backups in the old CM meanwhile you are doing the migration and then import the tapes you were using in the old CM. 

If you want expertise and someone who knows how DP works, a planned migration and help, I really recommend to follow @Dionisio_S recommendations to contact PSO to get someone to help you on this migration. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @JTan

This is a huge jump, so migrate the IDB is not possible. Starting at the point that both have different databases (DP 6 with RAIMA and DP 10 with PostgreSQL). 

So, the best idea here is to keep the DP 6 as historical and start the migration of the clients to the new CM. 

When you install DP 10.60, the connection to the old CM will be lost, so you will need to continue using the new one. 

As you mention that new CM will have a new hostname, both CMs can be working at the same time, of course, the client can be part of only one CM. 

So you will have time to migrate the clients and recreate the specifications. 

I do not know if you will use new devices or the same as before, but this will be a problem if you will use the same in both. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Contributor.
Contributor.

Jump to solution

Hi @Victor_F_DP ,

Thanks for the reply.

We will be using the same devices for backup(tape autoloader), what problems will be encountered? Once the tape auto-loader has been added to the new CM, will the old CM still be able to use it, assuming the schedules does not clash?

Thanks again!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello,

As 

If you want info on Micro Focus professional Services for DP and a quote to assist you for the migration from DP 6.10 (Windows 2008) to DP 10.x (Windows 2016), send me an email.

My contact details are below.

Kind regards,

Dionisio Sciascia | Professional Services | Information Management and Governance | Micro Focus Italiana s.r.l. | +39-348-8513.826 (m) | +39-06-9974.5330 (o) | dionisio.sciascia@microfocus.com

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @JTan

You can still use it, but the problem is that data will not be sync so there will be a mismatch in the data. But maybe you can use just a part of the tapes to backups in the old CM meanwhile you are doing the migration and then import the tapes you were using in the old CM. 

If you want expertise and someone who knows how DP works, a planned migration and help, I really recommend to follow @Dionisio_S recommendations to contact PSO to get someone to help you on this migration. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar

View solution in original post

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.