Commodore
Commodore

Migrating DP Install (IDB) from one SAN disk to another SAN disk

I'm running HPE Data Protector v9.09 on Windows 2008 R2.  I installed Data Protector on a drive "F:" that was provisioned from SAN disk array several years ago.  That disk array will be retired at the end of May and I need to migrate my DP IDB to a new SAN Disk soon.  The server will be the same but backend disk will be a different disk array.  What is the easiest or safest way to migrate IDB?  Are there any easy to follow steps or documents that I can follow?   I plan to open a technical service call with L1 anyway but just wanted to know if anybody can point me to a document that is not the Concepts or Users Guide.

Thanks in advance for any help / suggestions,

MO. 

0 Likes
5 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi MO,

I would do the easy way using Windows functionality.

1. Create a LUN from the new system, format it and assign a temporary drive letter to it.
  2. Stop the Cell Manager services using omnisv stop
  3. Copy the files to the new LUN
  4. Check if the directory junctions in OmniBack\server\db80\pg\pg_tblspc have been copied properly, recreate them with mklink /J if neccesary
  5. Swap the drive letter between the old and the new LUN
  6. Start the Cell Manager services using omnisv start

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
Commodore
Commodore

Thank you for your reply Sebastian.

It sounds too good to be true the way you describe it.  Have you done this in your enviroment?

I guess I can try it and as long as I don't delete the original SAN LUN I can always revert back to it and try the IDB backup and restore method that HPE will most likely recommend as the supported method.

All the steps you describe seems very easy and straight forward except for #4

"check if the directory junctions in OmniBack\server\db80\pg\pg_tblspc have been copied properly, recreate them with mklink /J if neccesary"

Not sure how to check directory junctions.   Would you be able to maybe post a screen shot of this step.

Thanks.

MO.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi MO,

Just check how it looks on the original disk and compare it after the copy from a command prompt using a simple dir command.

You can check one of my older postings on how to recreate the links.

Clean up after Data Protector IDB restore (Windows)
http://www.syncer.de/?p=777

I’m doing this kind of migration from time to time based on customer requirements. It is not complicated as long as the permissions are retained and the links are not copied as folders. You’re right there is a easy fallback using the original disk.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler
---
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi MO,

Have you been able to perform the migration? Did it worked okay or have you discovered any issues along the way?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Commodore
Commodore

Hello Sebastian,

No, I have not migrated yet.   First, the new SAN disk is not ready yet and second I opened a case with HPE Support.  I'm still waiting for their instructions on how to migrate entire DP installation from one drive letter (one disk array Volume Disk) to another drive letter (on different disk array volume disk).  

I think the way you described how to migrate DP in your original response is probably the way to go but I'm not too well versed with Windows (junctions and such) so I feel a little nervous about going that route.   I'm going to see what HPE support comes up.  

Thanks for checking back.  I'll let you know how I did it (wish me luck).

MO.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.