Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Multiple Backup sessions on one tape

Jump to solution
Hello,

I have made a media pool for a special server.
In this pool I have LTO3 tapes.
The backup of the server has 60 GB.
The problem is that a lot of backups sessions are stored on one media. Therefore up to 10 backups are stored on one tape. If this tape gets broken all 10 backups (last 10days) are lost.

Is there any solution that a new tape is used after three backups?

Thank you

Josef
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,

The only solution that i can think of is create 2 or more media pools and 2 or more differant backup specs.

For example,

Media pool 1 + backup spec Full on Mon, Tue, Wed

Media pool 2 + backup spec full on Thu, Fri, Sat

In this case the back is using differant tapes whit differant specs.

By default (and i do not now how to change it) DP is filling up a tape until it is full and than it takes the next tape.

second solution, remove the tape from the library after 3 days and put another tape in.

Dany

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,

The only solution that i can think of is create 2 or more media pools and 2 or more differant backup specs.

For example,

Media pool 1 + backup spec Full on Mon, Tue, Wed

Media pool 2 + backup spec full on Thu, Fri, Sat

In this case the back is using differant tapes whit differant specs.

By default (and i do not now how to change it) DP is filling up a tape until it is full and than it takes the next tape.

second solution, remove the tape from the library after 3 days and put another tape in.

Dany

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Absent Member..
What about changing your media pool definitions?...

Instead of having the "Appendable" policy, change it to "Non-appendable" or "Appendable on incrementals only".

That way, DP will pick up a new tape, each time a job starts (on the firt case), or only when a full backup job starts (on the second case).
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,

Changing the media pool as you propose could do the trick.

But, if set to non appendable it will take for every backup a new tape until the fist tape expire, 60 GB on an LTO3 tape you have a lot of wast space.

Set to "Appendable on incrementals only" it takes a new tape at the first full backup and afterwards is will only append incremental backups until full, even after a new full backup.

Example: new tape = 1 full (60 GB) + incremental (2 GB) until tape is full.
A second full backup is send to a new tape but the incremental backup revert back to the first tape.

Dany
Highlighted
New Member.
One of my customers is doing daily full backups, but there should never be two different backups on one tape media which can happen over weekends.

We can't use nonappendable, because several backup specifications are part of the 'daily backup'.

I've created a notification that triggers on the last specification and starts a script. That script is given the last session's ID from Data Protector, so it can find out the media that was last written to.

That media is then moved to a different pool. On a Windows Cell Manager the script looks like this:

1: set _F=C:\Temp\movepool.log

2: echo "%DATE% %TIME%" > %_F%

3: omnidb -session %SESSIONID% -media -detail |find "MediumID" > C:\Temp\DP_TMP_media.txt 2>> %_F%

4: for /f "tokens=3 delims= " %%I in (C:\Temp\DP_TMP_media.txt) do set _DP_MI=%%I

5: omnimm -move_medium %_DP_MI% "second_pool" >> %_F% 2>&1
Highlighted
Absent Member..
You have a nice script there, but i'm confused...

The "non-apendable" option, in my understanding, means that each tape can only contain one backup session, regardless of the type (full or incremental).

Also, the "appendable on incrementals only" will require a new tape each time a full backup is performed, but will use the same tape if you are doing an incremental backup.

So, even if you have a lot of "daily backup sessions", as you state, as long as you have enough tapes on your pool for DP to pick a new one for each backup session that is started, you won't have the need for any scripts...
You would just have to assure that, if you'll be running, for example, 7 distinct backup jobs on one day, you would need to have 7 free tapes on your pool (considering none of the backups would take more than one tape...).

I really do belive that "appendable on incrementals only" would do the trick for what Josef75 is trying to achieve, that is, not having several different backup specs on a single tape... just the restore chain for a single spec.
Highlighted
Absent Member..
Hello,

I'm trying to set the pool to Appendable on incrementals only and then on MO WE FR I make a full backup and on TU TH I will make a INC Backup.
Lets see what happens.

Thank you for your help

regards
Josef
0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.
> you won't have the need for any scripts...

Well, in may case, every backup is a full backup and some (online) sessions contain only a few gigabytes - I don't think it makes sense to spend a full LTO-4 media for one small session 😉

I understand that different users have different needs (no 'one size fits all'), but I wanted to point out and give an example that one can extend existing Data Protector functions with external scripts to better fit one's needs.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..
> "but I wanted to point out and give an example that one can extend existing Data Protector functions with external scripts to better fit one's needs."

That is why I started to point out that you made a nice script to fit your needs.

But, and I may be wrong, I understood Josef75 is interested on not loosing the restore chain for his backups due to loosing a tape. And this pool is only used for a specific special server.

So I stated that choosing "appendable on incrementals" would just put a restore chain per tape, giving him the kind of protection he needs, although I think he's not doing any incrementals... just full backups. So, yes, each LTO3 tape will have a lot of wasted space, as he just backs up 60 GB to a tape that can hold up to 800 GB.

But I totally agree with you that DP capabilites can be expanded with these scripts, although they add complexity to the environment.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.