Absent Member.. ECUse Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Multiple pre and post exec scripts on multiple systems

Jump to solution
Hi,

We are using DP A.06.11. I am trying to do 2 cold database backups on 2 different systems. The catch is they have to be both offline and started at the same time because there is replication between them.

So I was wondering if there was a way in DP to execute a pre-exec script on each system to shutdown the databases, back up the data, then execute a post-exec script on each system to start the databases.

I know I can have one script to remotely connect to the other to perform this action, but I am looking for an alternative solution.

Both systems are Linux based.

Thx
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Leif Halvarsson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Multiple pre and post exec scripts on multiple systems

Jump to solution
Hi,
It may be possible but, I doubt if it will be a very reliable solution.

You can define a pre-exec script for the first filesystem in order on each client to shut down the database and, a post-exec script for the last filesystem in order to start the databases. A problem is that backup for the two clents will not finish at the same time and, one of the databases will start up before the other.

As you describe the problem I belive the correct solution is to run ONE pre/post-exec scipt on the cell manager wich starts remote scripts on each client.
5 Replies
Leif Halvarsson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi,
It may be possible but, I doubt if it will be a very reliable solution.

You can define a pre-exec script for the first filesystem in order on each client to shut down the database and, a post-exec script for the last filesystem in order to start the databases. A problem is that backup for the two clents will not finish at the same time and, one of the databases will start up before the other.

As you describe the problem I belive the correct solution is to run ONE pre/post-exec scipt on the cell manager wich starts remote scripts on each client.
Absent Member.. ECUse Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
That is what I thought. Oh well, it would have been a nice easy secure solution.

Thx
0 Likes
ASSIST Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hello guys!

I have a similar scenario , with DP 6.0 , cell manager HP-UX , and 3 clients (windows , red hat , HP-UX)

Anyone knows if it possible run remote scripts on this clients ?

If its possible . Any detail about syntax of PRE and POST much be apreciated ...

Thanks in advance .

Regards .
0 Likes
Highlighted
OldSchool Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
" have a similar scenario , with DP 6.0 , cell manager HP-UX , and 3 clients (windows , red hat , HP-UX)

Anyone knows if it possible run remote scripts on this clients ?

If its possible . Any detail about syntax of PRE and POST much be apreciated "

you probably should have started your own thread instead of tagging on to this one, but.....

a) yes, remote scripts are possible....
b) syntax of the actual script depends on the OS its running on....as in a script for RH won't run on Windows (at least not by default)

PRE- and POST exec scripts can be executed either on a client or on the cell manager. DP is picky about where they reside, the GUI help function has more.
ASSIST Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks OldSchool ;

I will open a new thread now ! !

Apologies .

Regards .
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.