Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

NDMP Cannot identify format

Good morning dear community,

we are facing some troubles regarding restore data from a NDMP Tape Library back to the source EMC Device.

It already worked fine but forunknown circumstances the retore failed now with these errors:

[Normal] From: **PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED** "NDMP_1" Time: 20.11.2020 10:37:35
Starting dump restore on NDMP server at-npf1-m054.at-npf.group.wan.

[Major] From: **PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED** "NDMP_1" Time: 20.11.2020 10:37:36
Cannot identify format.

[Normal] From: **PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED** "NDMP_1" Time: 20.11.2020 10:37:37
server_archive: emctar vol 1, 0 files, 65536 bytes read, 0 bytes written

[Major] From: **PERSONAL INFORMATION REMOVED** "NDMP_1" Time: 20.11.2020 10:37:37
[242:33] NDMP Restore operation has failed.

I already tried it from a different medium, same effect.

We have a second issue but in that case we want to restore data from a NDMP StoreOnce Library  back to th source device with a massive timeout and without any hints in the logs (there is already a case open at MF SDSD02788501).

Maybe some of you has an idea where we could set up.

BR

Markus 

virtualized
Labels (2)
Tags (2)
0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello @Markus Pernek

If you are doing NVB backup, you need to take some considerations when try to restore it: 

When performing a full destructive restore, the NVB feature requires the target file system be of equal size or greater than the file system backed up.
When you use the backup image created by using NVB to perform a full destructive restore, the restore occurs at the volume level.
Large sequential writes are issued to the volume as data blocks are read from tape and written directly to the specified volume.
All existing data on the target file system is destroyed. This type of restore ensures the best possible data block write performance.

To sum it up: they need to create a new raw filesystem on EMC filer with the capacity equal or larger than NVB backup. This will also require environmental variable DIRECT=N or omnirc variable OB2NDMPDIRECT=N. 

This extract is from an old case I found. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Hi @Victor_F_DP ,

thank you for your reply.

i don´t think that this will fix my issue in this case.

we took the backup from affected EMC Device to Tape via NDMP (EMC Celera) and we wanted now to restore this data from that tape(s) back to this EMC Device.

There is enough space left for that test (i tested it with the restore of some NormalDot Template)

Best regards

Markus 

virtualized
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

That is strange. Do you already have a case open and have shared debugs? 

So I can check them quickly. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Hi @Victor_F_DP ,

no we havn´t opend a case yet because we are investigating on our own maybe with some input from out the community.

we think the issue starts after installing a second NDMP-based Media Agent Proxy, now we will investigate this idea and i will post it here if someone has the same or similar behaviour.

best regards

Markus

virtualized
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.