Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
Trusted Contributor.. kofop Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

NSS volume at restore without content

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a backup from Suse nss volume with this backup specification:

DATALIST "EBK"
DYNAMIC 1 5
DEFAULTS
{
        FILESYSTEM
        {
                -vss            no_fallback

}  -protect weeks 2
        RAWDISK
        {

}
}

DEVICE "HP:Ultrium 5-SCSI_1_1-bld"
{
        -pool "Default LTO-Ultrium"
}

DEVICE "HP:Ultrium 5-SCSI_2_1-bld"
{
        -pool "Default LTO-Ultrium"
}

FILESYSTEM "/media/nss/VOL1" servername.hu:"/media/nss/VOL1"
{
        -trees
                "/media/nss/VOL1"
        -exclude
                "/media/nss/VOL1/Prg"
        -no_storedrim
}  -no_log

on the backup page I can see the files and directories under /media/nss/VOL1, and the backup (full+incr) running with successfull status (and huge size 440GB - it's correct) but the sessions log showing number of objects=0 (no files with 400G?)

vol1.jpg

When I try to restore I unable to see the content (all settings are corrects i checked, and the problem is maybe the backup is lookls like a "image" or someting like:

vol1.jpg

When I changed the backup script like this, and take a backup the restore is working  and I able to restore just from the new backup contents:

FILESYSTEM "/media/nss/VOL1" servername.hu:"/media/nss/VOL1"
{
}

How can I use my old backups?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: NSS volume at restore without content

Jump to solution

Hi @kofop,

The old backups have been created with the No Log (-no_log in the backup spec) which is not a good choice for a file server. This means no information on directories or files have been stored in the Data Protector IDB for the backed up data. This information only lives on the media.

See Logging: Changing details about data stored in the IDB on https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.02/BackupOptions#Most_frequently_used_options.

So as it is you can only do restores of the whole file system which is not good. From what I know you can use the Import Catalog function on the tape in Devices & Media context of the GUI to load full catalog from the media into the IDB. There you can choose the Logging level again. This will take time since the whole media will be read.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
2 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi @kofop,

The old backups have been created with the No Log (-no_log in the backup spec) which is not a good choice for a file server. This means no information on directories or files have been stored in the Data Protector IDB for the backed up data. This information only lives on the media.

See Logging: Changing details about data stored in the IDB on https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.02/BackupOptions#Most_frequently_used_options.

So as it is you can only do restores of the whole file system which is not good. From what I know you can use the Import Catalog function on the tape in Devices & Media context of the GUI to load full catalog from the media into the IDB. There you can choose the Logging level again. This will take time since the whole media will be read.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor.. kofop Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution
Yes, that was, I was able to restore just the full filesystem.
Thanks.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.