Highlighted
New Member.

Needed items for Linux??

I got a quote from HP Sales for Dataprotector. I wanted to run the thing entirely from Linux, but was told the Cell Mgr had to be on NT or HP-UX, not possible on Linux. I am assuming this is correct?

As that apparently is the case, they said I could run the backups from the Linux box to a tape drive on the Linux box. They said I would have to buy the B6953AA Drive Unix etc LTU for 4200.00, versus 834.00 for the same functionality on Win. That seemed to squash my desire to use Linux as my backup server.

BUT, while reading another post in this group, I noticed a listing of someones parts and descriptions, and it seems to me that the Win drive License is the one I need for Linux maybe???

(excerpt)
"...
Single Drive for Windows NT/2000 / NetWare / Linux 5
The "lic.dat" contains the following:

"Product B6951AA"
"Product B6955AA"
"Product B6955AA"
"Product B6951AA"
"Product B6963AA"
"Product B6965AA"
..."

According to the description, I should maybe be able to buy the 834.00 part B6963AA and it will work on my Linux box? Can someone help clarify this stuff before I buyh the wrong part? Thanks!
Doug
0 Likes
3 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Needed items for Linux??

OB licencing is a minefield - it's my experience that even HP sales support people have problems working out what's required. And it gets more complex with each version update.

They are correct in the first respect - the cell manager component is only available for HP-UX, Solaris and Windows NT/2K. As you've discovered, the Windows version is considerably cheaper than the Unix ones.

As far as additional drive licences are concerned, there are two types: UNIX/SAN/NAS (6953AA) and Windows/Netware/Linux (B6963AA).

As the cell manager licence (Windows = B6961AA) includes one drive, you may not even need an additional one, unless you have a drive attached to the Windows cell manager as well.

Even then, drive licences are "floating" - you only need one per tape drive you want to use concurrently.

Confused yet ... ?

See the product brief at http://www.managementsoftware.hp.com/products/storage_data_protector/pb/datapro5_pb_aug02.pdf

hth

D
#
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Doug,

Cell Manager can only be on HP-UX,NT/2000 and Solaris.

Suppose you have only one drive connected to the Linux Box or Windows box and you decide on the NT/2000 cell manager then the following product will be sufficient.
B6961AA 1 no. Cell Manager and Single drive license for Windows/Netware/Linux

Thanks,
Everything is possible
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

You need indeed a Windows drive license to backup to a device connected to a Linux box.

And the cell manager on Windows includes indeed one Windows NT drive license. So you only need the following part number:

B6961AA Cell Manager & Single Drive for Windows / NetWare/ Linux (Intel) LTU + media & manuals

Unless you want to backup to multiple backup devices at the same time, you need more drive licenses (B6953AA for a Unix/NAS/SAN drive license or B6963AA for a Windows/Linux/Netware drive license).

Kurt
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.