Simon Vaillanco Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Non Appendable & Appendable media pool

Jump to solution
Hi,

I'm running DP in a small buisness. I have 6 schedule : ESX1 - ESX1 - SQL - Exchange - Files System - iDB.

My goal is to put all my dayly scheduled job on the same tape, and after the iDB backup (my last scheduled job), put the tape on a secure vault, and using a new blank tape for the next day.

If I used an Appendable media pool, DP wanna use the tape every day until is full... How can I set DP to use one tape per day? I have a small IBM Library and I have to exit the tape manually.

Thank you,

Simon
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
OldSchool Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Non Appendable & Appendable media pool

Jump to solution
I don't have access to a DP installation at the moment, but it may be possible to have DP "eject" the tape at the end of the IDB backup. If so, that should put it in the library's mail slot.

If not, you can use a "post-exec" script (attached to the IDB backup job) to get you there.

The basic idea would be to create a report (omnirpt or omnidb command?) that would let you determine which media was used by that session.

given the media name, you should be able to determine which slot it currently resides in, and once found, eject it from the library.
============================

another alternative is to set up a second media pool. once the IDB backup finishes, move the media from its current pool to the new one. It won't be available for the next backup cycle that way, but it wouldn't drop it in the mail slot for vaulting, and you'd have to move it back to the original pool when it comes time to reuse it.
6 Replies
Highlighted
OldSchool Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
I don't have access to a DP installation at the moment, but it may be possible to have DP "eject" the tape at the end of the IDB backup. If so, that should put it in the library's mail slot.

If not, you can use a "post-exec" script (attached to the IDB backup job) to get you there.

The basic idea would be to create a report (omnirpt or omnidb command?) that would let you determine which media was used by that session.

given the media name, you should be able to determine which slot it currently resides in, and once found, eject it from the library.
============================

another alternative is to set up a second media pool. once the IDB backup finishes, move the media from its current pool to the new one. It won't be available for the next backup cycle that way, but it wouldn't drop it in the mail slot for vaulting, and you'd have to move it back to the original pool when it comes time to reuse it.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi,

Finally, I have one I-O tray. So, I can eject and tape with DP. So, now my question is, how can I eject the tape after my iDB backup. I cannot see this option in my iDB job...

Thank's
0 Likes
OldSchool Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
see everything after "If not, you can use a "post-exec" script ...."

in my post above.
0 Likes
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
I can't beleive that I need to run a script to eject a tape after a backup session...

But thank you for the information...

I will continu to fight with this wondurfull software................
0 Likes
OldSchool Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
open the gui help function. It has a step-by-step guide to doing this using "reporting". It also has a sample perl script to parse the report and do the eject.

search for "scheduled eject"

with a standalone tape, its dead easy...having an autoloader or library complicates matters.

on the other hand, a lot of people don't necessarily use it the way you want to. for example, I've one media pool per backup datalist / specification. Each is appendable of incrementals. So I get an full and all the incrementals for a given spec on one tape. I eject those and vault them at the end of the week, so manually ejecting isn't onerous.

I guess it simply depends one what you want to do and how you want to use it.
0 Likes
A-User
New Member.

Jump to solution
I've created a script to move the media used by the last session to a different pool. The library has only one mailslot and there are no operators present over the weekend.

Another script runs before the first backup session starts and moves all expired media which are physically present in the library back to the pool that is used by the backup sessions.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.