Michael Scott_5 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OB2.10 DB getting too big!

Jump to solution
OB server 9000 class running 10.20.
fvers.dat and pos.dat need to be trimmed radically. We're getting a new server in a few months, but I need to decrease the size of the OB database to survive that long.
I've removed 10% of the old sessions - will this help?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Joseph T. Wycko Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OB2.10 DB getting too big!

Jump to solution
Support ends for OB II 2.10 November 30th, 2000 - you have about two months.

Frankly I have never even seen this product, so I don't know that I have anything useful to say...but I will take a swing at it...

If your database is too big, you want to do three kinds of things...

1. normal database maintance -deleting old records and purging the database

2. normal database maintenance for compression/defragmentation of the database(on later versions this is omnidbutil -writeascii, etc...)

(approach this cautiously, read the manual, make good backups etc...)

3. collecting less data by logging only directories.

There should be similar mechanisms in 2.10 - so have a look at your manuals (I know I will...) Be aware that reducing logging will mean that you an only restore whole directories, not individual files.

Refer back to this web site in a day or two - I know there are people out there that know the answers...

And thanks for continuing to use Omniback.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...

View solution in original post

3 Replies
Joseph T. Wycko Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Support ends for OB II 2.10 November 30th, 2000 - you have about two months.

Frankly I have never even seen this product, so I don't know that I have anything useful to say...but I will take a swing at it...

If your database is too big, you want to do three kinds of things...

1. normal database maintance -deleting old records and purging the database

2. normal database maintenance for compression/defragmentation of the database(on later versions this is omnidbutil -writeascii, etc...)

(approach this cautiously, read the manual, make good backups etc...)

3. collecting less data by logging only directories.

There should be similar mechanisms in 2.10 - so have a look at your manuals (I know I will...) Be aware that reducing logging will mean that you an only restore whole directories, not individual files.

Refer back to this web site in a day or two - I know there are people out there that know the answers...

And thanks for continuing to use Omniback.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Anthony Gooneti Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Remove any old/failed sessions that you can, also run a purge onthe database.
The most radical step would be to do a DB export to an ascii file with minimum detail set and then import it back in which always reduces the DB migh a considerable amount
Minimum effort maximum output!
0 Likes
Michael Scott_5 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Gentlemen, thanks for your responses. I opened a software call to get a solution.
I was aware that the databases needed maintenance but it was difficult to find specific info on this. The call solved that problem and much space was recovered!

Points to all concerned!
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.