Quentin Snow Absent Member.
Absent Member.

OB2 3.5 - Host local cell

When I try to conntect to one of my nodes I am now getting a critical error "Host not in local cell". The node was working before. I cannot upgrade, remove, or reinstall the agents from the installation server. I have tried rebooting all machines and the INET services are running where they are suppose to be.

In my clients tab, I see the correct agents on the correct machines.

What am I missing?
0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Anthony Gooneti Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: OB2 3.5 - Host local cell

The easiest way to do this is remove
/etc/opt/omni
/opt/omni
from your client and add it back in to the cell and reinstall the software.

You could probably debug it by checking machine connecticity see if things like nslookup and ping on both machines see each other and making sure that /etc/hosts names correspond to the name mentioned in the omni config but if you go with the first suggestion as long as you have network access to both boxes you should be fine.
Minimum effort maximum output!
0 Likes
Quentin Snow Absent Member.
Absent Member.

This is on an NT platform. Where is the file I need to modify there? I do have connectivity between all the devices and DNS, etc. is all fine.

What is the cause of this problem? Is it common for the Cell the become screwed?
0 Likes
Joseph T. Wycko Absent Member.
Absent Member.

The typical path on NT is something like
"C:program filesomniback..."

There are two places that this mis-configuration could have happened - on the cell server in a file called cell_info or on the client in the registry:
hkey_local-machine_software_hewlettpackard_openview
_omnibackII_site

Strictly speaking, these entries are probably NOT messed up, this is usually a symptom of a name resolution issue.

If this was already a member of the cell, you don't want to install, you want to upgrade or update. If that fails, then export the server (remove it from the cell) then import the server.

However, the advice that the simplest way is to re-install is probably correct. Make note of the value in the SITE key in the registry, then delete the value. Then try to update. If you can do a re-install at the client itself, from cd, this may be your most definitive solution.

Triple check name resolution from each of the machines involved TO each of the machines involved...if you have two servers, this is six tests on each machine...if you have three servers (the depot is not always the cell server) then you have nine tests per server...

nslookup cellserver
nslookup cellserver.domain.com
nslookup ip.ip.ip.ip

nslookup clientserver
nslookup clientserver.domain.com
nslookup ip.ip.ip.ip

nslookup depotserver
nslookup depotserver.domain.com
nslookup ip.ip.ip.ip

If you dont use DNS, or can't control DNS, then put entries in the hosts files on each of the servers for each of the servers...

ip.ip.ip.ip cellserver.domain.com server
ip.ip.ip.ip clientserver.domain.com server
ip.ip.ip.ip depotserver.domain.com server

Also note that we don't work well with firewall-like things...restricted routers, ms-proxy, and so forth.

Finally, sometimes the answer is as simple as rebooting the client before installing....or after.

Good luck.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
0 Likes
Joseph T. Wycko Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Do not use PING for name resolution tests here...it does NOT work the same way as NSLOOKUP on NT.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
0 Likes
Antoanetta Nagh Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Edit hosts file in both machines with the ip and names (full qualified name short name) for both machine. (even if you are using DNS, give it a try).
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.