Highlighted
Nazmal Kanji Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Omniback Disk Agents running on Netware 4.11

When the Omniback disk agent kicks in to do a backup on the Novell Server - the server hangs. Everytime Omniback kicks in the server hangs. There are two things I am looking at - 1) Not enough resources on the server and 2) There maybe a conflict with Inoculan. Has anyone had these problems before.
All responses would be greatly appreciated.

Also if anyone knows where I can find more documentation then provided regarding Omniback and Novell.
0 Likes
3 Replies
alberto vasquez Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Omniback Disk Agents running on Netware 4.11

There are a couple of things to look for here - but you have probably already identified the heart of the issue.

Your anti-virus software is probably set to examine the data from the file/hard drive every time a file is accessed.

You might change its settings so that it only looks at data being written.

Think about what backup software does that is different from your normal use of the server.

Essentially, Omniback will load every file on your hard drive one at a time, as quick as the server will let us.

Normal activity on your file server is optimized for open a file, read it again, wait a few seconds (or minutes) - read the same file again, maybe write to it...

As you can see in my example, Omniback or any backup software is going to stress the system - and we are not going to benefit particularly from file system caching, because we look at a file twice (more or less) then forget about it.

A similar issue can be experienced on netware (or NT...) if COMPRESSION was turned on at some point, or an Open File tool is in place - that is there is an additional layer between us and the data - and that layer is NOT optimized for a BACKUP/RESTORE usage pattern.

For example, compressed data must be (typically) uncompressed before the OS gives the data to us...that uncompression takes resources (memory and CPU) and time.

Your general solution is going to be increase memory or other resources, change the behaviour of the thing in the middle (compression, AV software, etc.) or slow Omniback down.

You can slow Omniback down by reducing CONCURRENCY, using fewer tape drives, or setting the network load from HIGH to MEDIUM or LOW.

Reducing the concurrency or the number of tape drives may not help you - as this relates to the number of simultaneous disk drive mount points being backed up - the network load may be your best bet.

Try backing up the file systems one at a time (perhaps in separate backup jobs, or with one tape drive set at concurrency of 1.)

Then build things back up towards higher concurrency, network load, etc, until you reach your failure point - then back off a notch or two...

Good Luck.

-Joseph Wyckoff
0 Likes
alberto vasquez Absent Member.
Absent Member.

In your question, you didn't identify which version of Omniback you are using.

I need to remind you to look for patches - there were several issues you might call 'hangs' that were fixed in patches for Omniback II 3.0

Omniback Patches http://ovweb.external.hp.com/cpe/patches/ob/ob.html

Also you might want to look to

http://support.novell.com

for current netware patches, known AV issues, backup issues in general...

-Joseph Wyckoff
0 Likes
Wadewitz Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I'm sorry that I do not contribute to the solution but another question that meets this
topic.
I backed up a Netware 4.11 server (SYS,VOL1) every day. Since one week the backup finished for SYS but hangs for VOL1.
A look on the remote console shows that for the VOL1 the omniinet.nlm is loaded first, then the vbda.nlm for the traversel. When the traversel has finished and the vbda.nlm is loading the bdanet.nlm the server gets a aband (failure in server.nlm or data passed from vbda to server.nlm?) and the backup session is aborted after the timout.
Thus I'm not able to backup this volume, but we can still backup this volume with epoch.

Any idea?

Tino
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.