Absent Member.. Tinux Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Patch 9.02: VMware GRE Support gone ?????

Hi,

"Welcome in the world of HP Data Prototector Documentation, which in any case will be inconclusive and very much incomplete.

When you buy this software, you will definitly need to polish up your Trail-and-Error skills since you will need them a lot.

And if it doesn't work as described, or it isn't documented at all in the state-of-the-art cross-referencing PDF documents, just open a support case and maybe you will have your answer in a week or two."

You will need to install a Data Protector client on de vCenter Appliance, which is a SuSE Linux Server.

But since the only proper way to install de GRE Web Plugin (read: fairly documented) is by adding a component to your vCenter server, you will have to setup a complete Linux Installation server.

Unless this is documented otherwise or HP changed the way the plugin is installed on the vCenter server. (which I doubt)

Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Cleber Zorzi Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi Nico,

I'm having the same problem.

Do you have the fix QCIM2A58514_TM1?

Do you can send me?

cleber@amr.com.br

Thanks,

Cleber

0 Likes
Absent Member.. Nic0 Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi,

@Tinux, when you import the Vcenter you have to select an option "Advanced GRE Web Plug-in". It's no more a component you add the the Vcenter.

@Cleber Zorzi, the patch si to big to send it by mail (8MB). Normally you have to open a case to HP support to verify you have exactly the same issue and this patch is working for you.

0 Likes
mrmcphisto Absent Member.
Absent Member.

So, 

if i've a vcenter appliance (suse), how do add it to DP 9?

ok let's assume i install a linux machine into vcenter, next? what are next steps?

Thanks in advance

0 Likes
husseinabuodeh Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

hey all

i have dp 904 and vmware 6

i confiured the gre with no issues but when i do arestore requist the restore session reported error

no objects to restore

what is the issue

is it not supported on vmware 6???

regards
hussein
0 Likes
Absent Member.. Pradeepdanthi Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Hi husseinabuodeh,

I have VMware Vcenter 6 and DP9 installed, for me VMware GRE Web plug in works, but i am unable to recover files inside the VM, when i request restore it try to restores entire VM.

The problem what i have is i cant see VMware GRE Extension plug in when i login to vcenter using Vsphere client.

its not even listed under pkug in.

need help.

Regards
Pradeep Danthi
Technical Consultant
0 Likes
nigil Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

VMWare GRE plug in is not available for VSphere Client.  Its only available in web client. 

VCenter Server Appliance(VCSA on SUSE) is supported and procedure is same for VCenter and VCSA. 

Note: Enable firewall ports and provide IP/host names in host resolution files.

For Linux VM, recovery exports must be configures and NFS must be ON.

-------------------------------

{Cheers by Kudos++}
0 Likes
tmas Absent Member.
Absent Member.

I too am having the same issue when trying to add the VMware GRE agent to my vcenter server.  We have a VCSA, and when I right click on it in the DP gui, the Add components option is greyed out.  However, if I select a Windows bases serverI see the option for VMware Granular Recover Extension Agent and VMware Granular Recover Extension Agent Web plugin.  When I try to install it on the Windows server, it of course gives an error because vcenter server isn't running on there.  How do I get this installed when we are using a VCSA, do I have to set up a windows based vcenter server an ditch our appliance now in order to be able to do file level recoveries of a vm?

Our setup is:

Linux VM (Centos 6.7) cell manager running DP 9.04

vcenter server - Virtual Center Server Appliance version 6.0U1 (Suse)

--Backup Environment--
Data Protector 9.05

Cell Manager (CentOS 6.8)
Storeonce VSA - SR: 3.13.3-1612.1
Storeonce 5500 - SR: 3.14.1-1607.1
HPE MSL4048 Tape Library - Firmware 8.90
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

vcsa should be imported as vcenter client type. in Clients menu you can select it and in Login tab you have to check the "Advanced GRE Web Plug-in" - this should start gre agent on first of your mount proxy hosts that contacts the vcenter, which then will pull the plugin from cell server. 

gre.PNG

The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.