Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Possible Migration - Questions

Jump to solution
Hoping you might be able to help me out a little before I get anyone from reseller/HP sales involved.

We currently use another product which works great, and I can't fault it other than on cost both for support, and now that we're interested in D2D backups with deduplication, which is expensive.

In terms of servers/data/types we have:

2 vsphere hosts with approx 30 "general purpose" VM's split across them. 1tb or so of data total, happy just to backup & restore the entire VM.
1 file server vm with approx 8tb on it.
1 exchange server vm with approx 500gb of exchange databases.
1 sql vm with approx 100gb sql databases.
1 remote site server with approx 300gb on it + local LTO drive - 20mbps VPN connection back to main site.
1 media agent with an LTO4 library attached.

Right now if I do a full backup to tape on a weekend 95% or so of what's written to tape is exactly the same as the previous week, and whilst I get 260gb/hr or so to tape, which isn't bad, we're still looking at around 36 hours for that full backup.

Mon-Thurs incremental backups are small and manageable.

What I'd really like to be able to do is stick in some dumb cheap disk space (not a VTL or appliance, just dumb disk space on a Windows/Linux box) and be able to do an initial full backup to this disk, I'd like to then be able to back that up to tape, and I'd like to do the same with the incrementals.

The next week I'd like to be able to say "Do a full backup but don't take 36 hours, just work out what's changed since the last full backup and build it from the initial full + incrementals".

Hopefully because of "synthetic fulls" and deduplication this shouldn't take very long.

Regards the remote site, other than how to get the initial 300gb backed up I'd love to be able to do away with their tape drive and backup deduplicated directly to my main site disk backup - guess this depends if the dedupe is done at the client or on the media agent?

Is this possible with Data Protector, and if so, what would I need in terms of licensing please?

Thanks for reading!
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..
Hi Paul,

A tradidional problem a lot of people face nowadays.. Everything starts rather small and everything can be handled within normal backupwindows.. but as data grows and storage becomes cheaper the backupwindows stay the same so it does'nt fit anymore.

I think you could do this with DP.. it has the so called incremental forever feature which functions rather well, so you make a full once, put an incr-1 next to it, consolidate it to a new full and write this new full to tapeengines... I did this with a few customers but it has some drawbacks... First: you only copy Full backups to tape so your library fills up rather quickly...
Second: you need a kind of cheap storage box with at least 3 times or more the space you occupy on primary storage.... This because you have to make a full first and keep it in/on your virtual Library, put the Incs next to it.. and consolidate this to a new full again.. so you end up with at least 2 times your complete full on disk...

Last but not least: Deduplication is done by D2D boxes and not by DP.. this is yet to come.. so backing up across the wire will still use up bandwidth but les because of the Incr forever...

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
Absent Member..
Hi Paul,

A tradidional problem a lot of people face nowadays.. Everything starts rather small and everything can be handled within normal backupwindows.. but as data grows and storage becomes cheaper the backupwindows stay the same so it does'nt fit anymore.

I think you could do this with DP.. it has the so called incremental forever feature which functions rather well, so you make a full once, put an incr-1 next to it, consolidate it to a new full and write this new full to tapeengines... I did this with a few customers but it has some drawbacks... First: you only copy Full backups to tape so your library fills up rather quickly...
Second: you need a kind of cheap storage box with at least 3 times or more the space you occupy on primary storage.... This because you have to make a full first and keep it in/on your virtual Library, put the Incs next to it.. and consolidate this to a new full again.. so you end up with at least 2 times your complete full on disk...

Last but not least: Deduplication is done by D2D boxes and not by DP.. this is yet to come.. so backing up across the wire will still use up bandwidth but les because of the Incr forever...

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Honored Contributor.. Honored Contributor..
Honored Contributor..
Hi Paul,

Bear in mind that in order to use a DP file library and DFMF you'll need to buy the Advanced Backup to Disk licenses.

Have you considered using something likfe HP Storage Mirroring to create a copy of your remote sites data on your primary site which you can then backup?

John
------------------
Kudos gratefully accepted - How to assign...
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Thanks both. Spoke to someone from HP today who explained the dedupe - tbh I think it's a little "creative" the way HP have worded that feature in the product literature.

Johnc - yep know about the Backup to Disk licenses. We have a P4000 SAN so the storage is synchronously mirrored in two locations, but that's resilience not recovery so I still need to take backups - with 8tb and growing doing that direct to tape is going to hurt, it hurts even more when restoring hence wanting to make disk the first resort and tape the last resort.

Henry, interesting on the virtual fulls as HP made it sound as if "8tb initial full + 1tb incremental = 9tb synthetic full" but stored in 9tb of space, not 8tb + 9tb?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member..
Hi Paul,

Initially you're right... DP creates from the 8 TB full plus the 1 TB incr the 9 TB synthetic so at that point you've 8 + 1 + 9 = 18 TB of data on your backupsystem... most people with little space recycle the first full of 8 TB afterwards... so you end up again with 9 TB ... and then the story goes on ... the next time it's 9 + 1 becomes 10.. so you end up with 9 + 1 + 10 = 20 TB ... 🙂 But then again... the cost have come down for 2 TB drives lately... and a MSA60 or a tanker (MDS600) are perfect options to do the job... and yes Johnc's right you need for this a TB Advanced Backup to Disk License

Consider using Johnc's DFMF option, it creates hash codes in directories on the clientdrive (mostly drive C). Customers having small C: drive partitions often run out of space on this drive because of these numerous files in numerous directories... 😞 I never use DFMF though ...

0 Likes
Highlighted
New Member.
> DP creates from the 8 TB full plus
> the 1 TB incr the 9 TB synthetic
> so at that point you've 8 + 1 + 9 = 18 TB
> of data on your backupsystem..

True, but synthetic is meant to be written on physical media.
If you want 8+1=9TB, use virtual full within the DP file library.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.