Problem during restore process, note that backup took successfully
We have HP Data Protector 9.0
The problem is:
Tried restore file from Media but error keep appear:
may be incomplete because some medium is missing.
Note the backup took on this media successfully without errors!
Check media health. Look in "properties" in backup session > "Media".
- Check the status from medias that was used to save the backup catalog.
- Check the protection of all medias, maybe someone has been expired and deleted from media.
Was the backup you are trying to restore from a FULL or INCREMENTAL?
If it is saying some medium is missing it could be that you don't have all the pieces in the restore chain from the last full up to the incremental that you are trying to restore.
FULL backup on Monday then an INCR on Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday.
It's Saturday and something breaks and you need to restore up to Friday, but the job on Thursday was on a bad medium, accidently recycled, etc. etc. and now your chain to restore to Friday is broken. You'd be able to restore to Wednesday, but the Friday job which was successful is still dependent on having the INCR from Thursday to successfully restore the Friday job on top of it.
About this error during restore.
Check if all the media of the version (backup SessionID ) that you are trying to restore is already imported into DP.
To know all the media used for the backup session run the following command:
- omnidb –session sessionID –media --> Displays the tapes used for the backup session.
- omnimm –media_info Medium --> Displays the info of the media, so you will notice if the tape is imported or not if it indicates that the media is located in the library. Also, this will displays if the tape was overwritten
sessionID refers to the sessionID number of the backup that you are trying to restore.
Medium refers to the mediumID number of the backup that you are trying to restore.
If the above seems to be ok, then you can review the catalog and the information into the tapes by using the following commands:
- omnimm -catalog Medium
- omnimm -list_media Medium
Check out that any of the tapes has been overwritten, that all the media is imported and the information that you want to restore is in the tapes needed for the restore.
Hope this helps.