Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Proliant ML350 G6 upgraded to 2012R2, trying Protector 8.1 but it cannot write to tapedrive

Jump to solution

Hello!

Ehhh, run into trouble. I need some help with our primary DC backup software, namely the HP Data Protector 8.1 (running a trial version here).

We used to run 2008 R2 with HP DAT320 internal USB tapedrive, it was working fine with DPE 5.0 Full License, however after upgrade to 2012R2 it came up that software is no longer compatible, so I uninstalled DPE 5.0 and installed DP8.1 trial as this one seems to support 2012R2 (does it?).

Here's my problem, I did initial config for tapedrive device, selected some default backup schedule, but the thing cannot write to tapedrive at all. I can't even successully format the DDS media with force option...

Also, why this software is looking so overly complicated and unintuitive when compared to 5.0? I am totally lost with it ...

here's log from Data protector Manager 8.1 when I try formatting media using force option:

[Normal] From: MSM@host.domain.local "HP DAT320 USB"  Time: 5/29/2014 12:25:21 PM
	Media session 2014/05/29-3 started.

[Normal] From: MMA@host.domain.local "HP DAT320 USB"  Time: 5/29/2014 12:25:21 PM
	STARTING Media Agent "HP DAT320 USB"

[Normal] From: MSM@host.domain.local "HP DAT320 USB"  Time: 5/29/2014 12:25:22 PM
	Data Protector foreign medium "f8269960:5386aa93:0120:0001" found.
	Medium not found in the Data Protector Internal Database. 
	Initialization allowed. 

[Normal] From: MMA@host.domain.local "HP DAT320 USB"  Time: 5/29/2014 12:25:22 PM
	\\.\tape0
	Initializing new medium: "Default DDS_4"

[Major] From: MMA@host.domain.local "HP DAT320 USB"  Time: 5/29/2014 12:25:33 PM
[90:51]  	\\.\tape0
	Cannot write to device ([87] The parameter is incorrect. )

[Major] From: MMA@host.domain.local "HP DAT320 USB"  Time: 5/29/2014 12:25:33 PM
	Initialization of medium failed.

[Normal] From: MMA@host.domain.local "HP DAT320 USB"  Time: 5/29/2014 12:25:50 PM
	ABORTED Media Agent "HP DAT320 USB"

============================================================================
                      0 media out of 1 successfully initialized.

any help please?

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Visitor.

Hi,

I've seen DP write to USB-connected HP DATs, so that isn't entirely impossible (it was DP6.2x on W2008R2 though). The error message in question may be block size related, what block size did you configure? 8.x defaults to 256KiB while older releases did default to 64KiB, and 256KiB may be too much for the USB (without registry hacks). So try a fallback to 64KiB first. It's an USB DAT, so it's slow as hell anyway. If that works, google for the registry hack to enable larger block sizes and try if they work with SCSI over USB.

Regarding DPX, you know that DPX was an OEM product of BarracudaWare and they offer you to hop over to their Yosemite Server Backup product? I'm not sure it will solve your problem, though, as they are proudly claiming 2008R2 compatibility all over the place, which may (or may not) mean they are 2012R2-challenged as well.

As for complexity and intuitiveness, DP is an enterprise backup system with >20 years of development history. It's so complicated because 90% of it is there to do things you never need in a single server backup (primarily scale to large heterogenous environments), and some of that is there purely for historic reasons and backwards compatibility. That scalability and power comes at a price. But I just saw you already recognized that yourself 😉

Maybe scan the market for other simple one-server backup solutions? I just don't know any, as they always fail to scale before I get involved 😉

HTH,

Andre.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
8 Replies
Highlighted
Acclaimed Contributor.
Acclaimed Contributor.

>why this software is looking so overly complicated and unintuitive when compared to 5.0?

Most likely since Data Protector and Data Protector Express are completely different products.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Probably you are right 🙂

Since I just really need a standalone product for local tape backups of a single server, let me ask this, is there a Data Protector Express that fully supports 2012 R2? I might go that way instead of fighting with DP8.1 ... I don't need 90% of stuff in it, I mean if I ever get it to work with my tapedrive.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Even though thsi forum is for the full Data Protector product, I checked for support matrices for Data Protector Express.  The latest version is 6.0.  It does not appear that this version supplies support for W 2012 R/2

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?lang=en&cc=us&sp4ts.oid=5171306

There is also a PDF document, I was not able to copy the link, you would need to 'google'

data protector express support matrix

I am also noy understanding your device address \\.\tape0

Usually, it is in the format of a Windows SCSI path, for example

Tape2:0:1:0C

or a UNIX device file, for example on HPUX

/dev/rmt/c2t0d0BESTn

So, the problem may be in how it was configured.  You can get the correct tape path by running, from the command prompt

Windows

cd \Program Files\Omniback\bin

devbra -dev

UNIX

/opt/omni/lbin/devbra -dev

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

@Bob_Clark wrote:

Even though thsi forum is for the full Data Protector product, I checked for support matrices for Data Protector Express.  The latest version is 6.0.  It does not appear that this version supplies support for W 2012 R/2

http://h20565.www2.hp.com/portal/site/hpsc/public/psi/swdHome/?lang=en&cc=us&sp4ts.oid=5171306

There is also a PDF document, I was not able to copy the link, you would need to 'google'

data protector express support matrix

I am also noy understanding your device address \\.\tape0

Usually, it is in the format of a Windows SCSI path, for example

Tape2:0:1:0C

or a UNIX device file, for example on HPUX

/dev/rmt/c2t0d0BESTn

So, the problem may be in how it was configured.  You can get the correct tape path by running, from the command prompt

Windows

cd \Program Files\Omniback\bin

devbra -dev

UNIX

/opt/omni/lbin/devbra -dev

Bob, thanks for chiming in.

Thanks for understanding of why I am here in first place. and yes, I checked the matrix and DPE6.0 does NOT support any windows 2012 (R2 or non-R2) and AFAIK there is no DPE7.0 out there ...

I tried checking for hardwre address of my internal USB tapedrive and it said same thing as autoconfiguration in agent GUI, here's the CMD output:

C:\Program Files\OmniBack\bin>devbra -dev

Tape    HP:DAT320  Path: "\\.\tape0"  SN: "4C40370AVZ"
        Description: HP StorageWorks DAT 320 Drive
        Revision: VUA8  Device type: 4mm [1]  Flags: 0x0101

I am not even sure if this product support internal USB tapedrives ...

For sure SYmantec Backup Exec runs on generic drivers for such tapedrives and that results in a super slow operation, officially they support only SCSI/SAS devices ... what a bummer.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

No kidding...

You are probably right about the USB drive not being supported

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

yeah, LOL! that's what I am suspecting ...

0 Likes
Highlighted
Visitor.

Hi,

I've seen DP write to USB-connected HP DATs, so that isn't entirely impossible (it was DP6.2x on W2008R2 though). The error message in question may be block size related, what block size did you configure? 8.x defaults to 256KiB while older releases did default to 64KiB, and 256KiB may be too much for the USB (without registry hacks). So try a fallback to 64KiB first. It's an USB DAT, so it's slow as hell anyway. If that works, google for the registry hack to enable larger block sizes and try if they work with SCSI over USB.

Regarding DPX, you know that DPX was an OEM product of BarracudaWare and they offer you to hop over to their Yosemite Server Backup product? I'm not sure it will solve your problem, though, as they are proudly claiming 2008R2 compatibility all over the place, which may (or may not) mean they are 2012R2-challenged as well.

As for complexity and intuitiveness, DP is an enterprise backup system with >20 years of development history. It's so complicated because 90% of it is there to do things you never need in a single server backup (primarily scale to large heterogenous environments), and some of that is there purely for historic reasons and backwards compatibility. That scalability and power comes at a price. But I just saw you already recognized that yourself 😉

Maybe scan the market for other simple one-server backup solutions? I just don't know any, as they always fail to scale before I get involved 😉

HTH,

Andre.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Thanks Andre!

I think that did the trick, changing block size from 256KB to 64KB.

I was able successfully initialize the tape drive media finally!

[Normal] From: MSM@host.domain.com "HP DAT320 USB"  Time: 6/2/2014 11:13:35 AM
	Media session 2014/06/02-2 started.

[Normal] From: MMA@host.domain.com "HP DAT320 USB"  Time: 6/2/2014 11:13:35 AM
	STARTING Media Agent "HP DAT320 USB"

[Normal] From: MSM@host.domain.com "HP DAT320 USB"  Time: 6/2/2014 11:14:00 AM
	Data Protector foreign medium "f8269960:53875f72:3300:0001" found.
	Medium not found in the Data Protector Internal Database. 
	Initialization allowed. 

[Normal] From: MMA@host.domain.com "HP DAT320 USB"  Time: 6/2/2014 11:14:00 AM
	\\.\tape0
	Initializing new medium: "Default DDS_5"

[Normal] From: MSM@host.domain.com "HP DAT320 USB"  Time: 6/2/2014 11:14:04 AM
	New medium added to pool: Default DDS  
	    MediumID: f8269960:538c94b8:4558:0001  
	    Label:    Default DDS_5  
[Normal] From: MMA@host.domain.com "HP DAT320 USB"  Time: 6/2/2014 11:14:21 AM
	COMPLETED Media Agent "HP DAT320 USB"

1 media out of 1 successfully initialized.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.