Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
S_M_Saqib Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Reclaim physical disk space.

I have a software storeonce VTL. I have recyled and deleted several large size media using data protector manager. But the partiton size of storeonce is still same. I have even tried restarting storeonce store and its service as well as restart the server,

Following is the environment.

DP 8.0 + Storeonce (Same host)

Windows Server 2008 R2

0 Likes
8 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Reclaim physical disk space.

Hello

My first suggestion is upgrade your DP version, let's go to say that 8.0 is not the best option please go to 8.15 or 9.06.

For to reclaim free space into StoreOnce first you must run omnimm manually.

Synopsis
omnimm -delete_unprotected_media [Library | -all]
Description
Manual removal of unprotected B2D backup objects
When invoked, Data Protector builds a list of unprotected backed-up objects residing in the B2D device. Data Protector first removes them from the store and then deletes the media information from the Data Protector database. Note that removing media from the store does not free-up disk space, it merely instructs the store to obsolete the data. You can optionally specify the name of the library. In this case only unprotected media from the specified library are deleted.

After that housekeeping process that run in background will release free space.

Removing unprotected B2D backup objects deletes the associated slots immediately. Deleting items does not free-up disk space immediately. During the next housekeeping job, expired files and unreferenced chunks are deleted, and possibly freeing up some disk space.

Best Regards

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hi S_M_Saqib,

Jose is right. In any case it might help to stop StoreOnceSoftware service since we've seen cases where the internal housekeeping process stopped for no reason. Please stop the stores first using StoreOnceSoftware --stop_store --name=Store before you run net stop StoreOnceSoftware. If the housekeeper kicks in you should see high disk and CPU activity and hopefully reduced disk usage (over time).

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
S_M_Saqib Absent Member.
Absent Member.

A little bit correction here that my DP version is 8.10. Here is what I did.

1) Recylced old media from stroreonce store using DP GUI.

2) Ran omnimm -delete_unprotected_media -all ( it deleted the uproctected media)

3) set DeleteUnprotectedMediaFreq=4 in global config file.

4) Restart DP and storeonce services after stopping store.

It has been 24hrs now but still no success.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hello

Please install ast set of patches DP 8.15

Best Regards

0 Likes
S_M_Saqib Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Patch 8.15 has been installed. But the disk space is still as same as before. I have restarted the server after installing the patch.

Is there any way to check whether the housekeeping job is running or not?

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Just to confirm. Have you removed the slots from the B2D library manually (this was possible in older versions, but did not remove any data on StoreOnceSoftware) or have you reycled the media and waited for Media clean up task to kick in (the recommended way)?

I would recommend to contact support and ask for the syncStoreAndIDB script. I guess the slot was just removed on the IDB, but still exists on StoreOnceSoftware. This can happen when StoreOnceSoftware is down when the Media clean up task runs. The script can make the slots available in IDB again and allows proper clean up.

The housekeeping status of StoreOnceSoftware is stored in several xml files. This depends on the amount of stores created in StoreOnceSoftware. Look for those files:

StoreOncelibrary\dvol_00000000\tasks.hk\hkdiags.xml

For each store there is one file. Just replace ${store_dvol} with the store id.

StoreOncelibrary\dvol_000000${store_dvol}\committed\storemgr\store.d\store_${store_id}\s_tasks.hk\hkdiags.xml

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Please open a support call for further troubleshoot.

0 Likes
S_M_Saqib Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes, I have already opened the support call. They are analyzing the logs and outputs of various commands.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.