Community in read only mode June 18 & 19
This community will be set in READ ONLY mode for a while on Tuesday June 18 into Wednesday June 19 while we import content and users from our Micro Focus Forums community site. MORE INFORMATION
DP_User Super Contributor.
Super Contributor.

Recovery of OS

I am looking to rebuild the WIndows OS using the C and Configuration backup.

what is process to recover the Windows OS and configuration in Data Potector.

We have backup of C drive and Configuration,  We have Windows Rebuilt-server installed with Windows Image. how can we restore using the backup we have of C and configuration.

We want system to be back to normal as it was before crash. Also do we need to us Overwrite option while doing retore of C and Configuration and What is the sequence of doing the restore and also Do we need to exclude any folder while performing restore.

0 Likes
6 Replies
Adolfo Mora Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Re: Recovery of OS

Hi,

This is a disaster recovery scenario; in such cases when you want to completely rebuilt the Cell Manager, Data Protector offers different "Disaster Recovery" methods. Attached you will find the disaster recovery guides for Data Protector versions 10 and 9. As you may know, this is a complex process but you will find all the steps for each method (AMDR,EADR,OBDR).

On page 13 you will find an overview of the phases of each the disaster recovery method.

In addition, a backup of the Data Protector database is required.

Regards,

0 Likes
Adolfo Mora Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

(Multiple attached files are not possible on posts. Adding DR guide for DP 9.0x as part of the last post)

0 Likes
Super Contributor.

i am not looking for Cell server restore.

I am looking for WIndows client OS restore. How can we achieve it.

I want to recover the WIndows OS of a client system using DP Backups.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hello DP_User,

@DP_Userwrote:

I am looking to rebuild the WIndows OS using the C and Configuration backup.

what is process to recover the Windows OS and configuration in Data Potector.

If the Windows server had the Automatic Disaster Recovery module installed before the crash then you should be able to create a recovery ISO according to the Disaster Recovery Guide and boot and recover the server directly with it. This works for Cell Manager and regular clients.

We have backup of C drive and Configuration,  We have Windows Rebuilt-server installed with Windows Image. how can we restore using the backup we have of C and configuration.

We want system to be back to normal as it was before crash. Also do we need to us Overwrite option while doing retore of C and Configuration and What is the sequence of doing the restore and also Do we need to exclude any folder while performing restore.

This is not optimal, since the operating system is running and has open files. In this case directly restore the C: drive and /CONFIGURATION and overwrite everything. Reboot the server afterwards.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Super Contributor.

This is not optimal, since the operating system is running and has open files. In this case directly restore the C: drive and /CONFIGURATION and overwrite everything. Reboot the server afterwards.

- i tried directly restore the C: drive and /CONFIGURATION and overwrite everything. Reboot the server afterwards. the server had some issues, the Start button was not working.

when i tried same restore without over write the system came up properly.

What are the important folder to be restoresd in C drive for OS recovery.

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hello @DP_User,

I know what you mean, but it depends. Overwriting everything is the best option. Do you have a chance to install a Windows OS on a second parition along with the Data Protector agent and overwrite the original operating system disk? Then all files are closed. This is the reason EADR with the MiniOS works so good.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.