Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Replace MSL 6060 by 8096 with DP5.5

Jump to solution
Hi,
i have MSL 6060 running with data protector 5.5.
i am going to replace MSL 6060 by MSL 8096 with same data protector.

concern:
-MSL 6060 have LTO2 drive but MSL 8096 have LTO4 drive. will it support by DP 5.5
-MSL 6060 have 4 drive with two NSR but 8096 have 4 drive separately.my backup specification will work??
-what change i should make with DP.
-how can i integrate new MSL with DP 5.5.

please help. its urgent.

Regards,
Morshed.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Morshed,

-MSL 6060 have LTO2 drive but MSL 8096 have LTO4 drive. will it support by DP 5.5
It will work definetly as I have been using LTO4 drives with DP 5.5 for some time. You will need to install latest DP patches and also upgrade library and drive firmwares.

-MSL 6060 have 4 drive with two NSR but 8096 have 4 drive separately.my backup specification will work??
Are your drives connected to your servers? I mean if on fiber channel, have the zone configuration been done? Can you see the drives on the DP Cell Manager? You will need to verify these things and then configure new drives in DP.

After taking care of the above mentioned things, you will have to add new devices/drives in DP.
Once the OS sees your drives and MSL, you can use the Automatic Configuration in DP to set up your new library. You will also need to specify the new drives in your backup specifications.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,
M. Yasir Azam.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
12 Replies
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi Morshed,

You need the latest DP5.5 patches.
The Media Agent patch DPWIN_00392 should help you with the LTO-4 drive issue.

Use LT&T to update the library firmware as well.

Yalla
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Morshed,

It will work definetly as I have been using LTO4 drives with DP 5.5 for some time. You will need to install latest DP patches and also upgrade library and drive firmwares.

Are your drives connected to your servers? I mean if on fiber channel, have the zone configuration been done? Can you see the drives on the DP Cell Manager? You will need to verify these things and then configure new drives in DP.

After taking care of the above mentioned things, you will have to add new devices/drives in DP.
Once the OS sees your drives and MSL, you can use the Automatic Configuration in DP to set up your new library. You will also need to specify the new drives in your backup specifications.

Hope this helps.

Rgds,
M. Yasir Azam.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi M. Yasir Azam,

thanks for your very helpful reply.

still i didn't start activity.just getting prepare. current drive is connected to SAN. and MSL 8096 drive also will connect to SAN. and zone will be configured.

should the drive configuration remain same like before?

as all media will be new. pool will be new.
what kind of change i need to do in backup specification.

please help me in details.

REgards,
Morshed.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Morshed,

Do the following:

1. Make sure the OS of the Cell manager can see your library as well as your drive.

2. Go to 'Devices & Media' tab in DP. Right click 'Devices' and select 'Autoconfigure Devices'. If the OS can see the library and drive, this is the simplest way to add new library and drive. The wizard is pretty much straight forward, and should guide you along the way.

3. Once the library and drives are added in DP, go to your backup specification properties, click on the 'Destination' tab and deselect your old drive and select your newly configured drive.

4. Add media to the pre-alloc list as usual.

Hope that helps.

Rgds,
Yasir.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Regarding the drive configuration, it should pretty much be the same as your previous drive. Just make sure 'Multipath Device' is selected and drive addresses from all hosts are present in the 'Devices' tab.

Also, in the backup specification select the 'Use preferred multipath host' for the best results for backups over SAN.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,

lotta thanks.

if you have any customize doc could you please share with me.

Regards,
Morshed.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Morshed,

Sorry, no customized document with me. But HP's documentation on Data Protector is good and easy to understand. You should review the concept and administrator guide if not already done so.

And for issues really extraordinary, you have this forum which is also very excellent.

Page 18 of this document shows the compatibility matrix for your version of DP and MSL: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/CoreRedirect.jsp?redirectReason=DocIndexPDF&prodSeriesId=3188924&targetPage=http%3A%2F%2Fbizsupport1.austin.hp.com%2Fbc%2Fdocs%2Fsupport%2FSupportManual%2Fc00677052%2Fc00677052.pdf

Rest of the documents for DP 5.5 are at: http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/DocumentIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodClassId=-1&contentType=SupportManual&prodTypeId=18964&prodSeriesId=3188924

Hope this helps,

Regards,
Yasir.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi Yasir,
thanks.

could you please confirm me either patch is required or not? if yes in which server i need to install the patch? only cell manager or all client?

about pool and media what did you mean bye "Add media to the pre-alloc list as usual"

actually do i need to create pool again ??

please help.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi Morshed,

>> could you please confirm me either patch is required or not? if yes in which server i need to install the patch? only cell manager or all client?

You can check the patches @ itrc.hp.com. Search for the product and OS. Read the information for the patches, each patch will tell you whether it is for the cell manager or the client system.

>> about pool and media what did you mean bye "Add media to the pre-alloc list as usual"

Go to the backup specification properties. Select the Destination tab. Select the drive and click Properties. This is your pre-alloc list where you should add your media from the respective pool. The backup will pick media from here.

>> actually do i need to create pool again ??

No need to create the pool again. Just take its properties and change the required points.

Hope that helps,

Rgds,
Taurian.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,
we have test the new library with same environment.its fine. but in production its showing NO_HW. i can't reboot the production server. diff is in test server patch bundle is 2005 but in production its 2004.

is there any to to solve no_hw issue without reboot.

Regards,
Morshed.
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.
Hi,
Please share output of command ioscan -fnC tape and same cmd with autoch.

Rgds,
Taurian.
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.