Frequent Contributor.. Ricardo B Frequent Contributor..
Frequent Contributor..

Restore Virtual Machine from Filesystem backup

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have backup of a virtual machine through the Filesystem option in Data Protector, I make a copy of the disk C :, Configuration and Recovery Volume (I added screenshot).

The question is, can I restore the machine in the vCenter with this data?.

If so, what procedure to follow?.

I have tried to create a new virtual machine and restore everything on a new disk of that machine.
Then, I have removed the restored disk and added it as a boot disk, but I did not get to boot, giving failures to the Operating System (Windows Server 2012 R2).

Thanks for reading and best regards.

Ricardo Bustos.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Restore Virtual Machine from Filesystem backup

Jump to solution

Hello @Ricardo B,

If you backup a VM like a physical server you must restore it like a physical server. I guess you're not using the Data Protector VEPA integration to create image backups of the VMs.

The best option, instead of restoring all files on top a fresh Windows installation, is a backup created when the AutoDR package is also installed. You can then follow the Data Protector EADR workflow to create an ISO image for recovery. See https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.05/DisasterRecovery for more details on EADR.

Are you still testing or is this an actual situation where you have to restore a damaged VM?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
6 Replies
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hello @Ricardo B,

If you backup a VM like a physical server you must restore it like a physical server. I guess you're not using the Data Protector VEPA integration to create image backups of the VMs.

The best option, instead of restoring all files on top a fresh Windows installation, is a backup created when the AutoDR package is also installed. You can then follow the Data Protector EADR workflow to create an ISO image for recovery. See https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.05/DisasterRecovery for more details on EADR.

Are you still testing or is this an actual situation where you have to restore a damaged VM?

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello @Ricardo B

You cannot restore all the entire disk due Windows folder to boot is unique and cannot be replaced. What you can do is restore the configuration disk to get some of the information and configurations there. The documentation is here: https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.05/WindowsSystemsRestore

But if this is a VM, will be better if you perform a backup of the entire VM using the Virtual Environment Integration offered for DP. 
https://docs.microfocus.com/itom/Data_Protector:2019.05/VMwareIntegration

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello @Sebastian.Koehler, thanks for the reply.

"Are you still testing or is this an actual situation where you have to restore a damaged VM?":

I'm doing restoration tests. The objective is to restore complete machines, which have the backup with Filesystem as backup specification. 

In our environment, we have several virtual machines that for implementation reasons, backups are configured in this way (although the vast majority makes backup on Virtual Environment).

I have not implemented the backup with AutoDR package, I am reviewing how I can apply it.

But, one last question, it would be possible to do the restoration all files on a fresh installation of Windows?, if so, what would be the steps to be carried out ?.

Very thankful.

Ricardo Bustos

0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello @Victor_F_DP, thanks for the reply.

Unfortunately, I can not perform a backup of the entire VM using the Virtual Environment, for reasons of implementation of our infrastructure.

I tried to restore the configuration disk, but I also needed the system disk to leave the machine operative.

I have been testing:

1st
- Restore configuration disk on the test machine
- Restore disk C: on a separate disk of the test machine
- Remove the disk C: original and add the restored one
- But the machine does not start

2nd
- Restore configuration disk and disk C: on a separate disk of the machine
- Remove the disk C: original and add the restored one
- But the machine does not start

I am trying to perform the restoration on a fresh Windows machine, but something escapes me.

Very thankful.

Ricardo Bustos

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

I am not quite sure if this is possible, just restore the complete disk. I think that Windows needs to be installed to create the correct relations with the hardware and software. Changing the disk does not look a good option. 

What I think is that you need to install the server and then restore all the files and configuration disk. 

This will work. 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Frequent Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello, thank you both.

I have decided to perform tests with EADR to recover the VM through an ISO as indicated @Sebastian.Koehler . 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.