Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Restore all unique files from a series of monthly (full) tape backups (DP 9)

Management wish to conduct a full audit of everything that has ever been done (!) and I've been tasked with restoring all the final versions of all files (and any that have been deleted) from several dozen full backups that have been backed up to several hundred tapes by SP v9. The OS is HPUX and the tapes are sitting in a 4-drive library.

Is there a straightforward way of doing this?

Labels (2)
0 Likes
11 Replies
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Restore all unique files from a series of monthly (full) tape backups (DP 9)

Hi @TelmarG

There is no way to run a backup for only one object with different versions. 

What you will need to do is run each restore one by one. Using the GUI the restore configuration remains in a tab. So what you can do is run one restore, move to this tab and change the version of the file. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Re: Restore all unique files from a series of monthly (full) tape backups (DP 9)

Hmmmm. Thanks for the reply; I did wonder if that might be the case.

I'm not sure that's a practical way of doing things, as there are - quite literally! - millions of files.

One way I thought of doing it was to restore each object's backup in secuential order into the same directory and choosing the "overwrite"option for existing files. This would overwrite all files with their latest versions. But it also means reading several hundred tapes.

If it's possible to export the contents of the catalogue database, into (say) a tab-delimited file, then I could load it into a database and select all the final versions of all files based on dates/times and names, and then export that file. But is it possible to feed such a file into DP to tell it which files you want?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

I know DP has a dedupe option when writing to disc. Is it possible to copy the tapes to a series of deduped disk backups, and then restore only the "unique" files from there?

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

The dedupe won't change anything. It's not because data is deduped that the backup catalogs will be different. If you make copies to a dedupe device then you will just have an extra copy of the same object.

The issue is you also need any file which was deleted any time, right? I guess that means you need to restore every single backup ever made and that with an overwrite option indeed. I didn't test this, but I believe that will be the only way to guarantee every file ever backed up will be restored.

Anyone else any other idea about this?

Koen

Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Thanks for the reply.

Other people must have been confronted with this (or similar) tasks so I'm interested in hearing their experiences.

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Hi,

The functionality is actually available. In the restore you can choose to restore the latest available version of the object. The trick now is to make sure "Omit deleted files" is NOT checked in the Options. Like that, you will see all latest versions of any file in your destination folder. This should make your life easy!  😉

Koen

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.. Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Hi,

may be you can compare the output from omnidb:

root@prosp:/root # omnidb -filesystem prosp.attww.local:/tmp '/tmp' -session 2019/07/23-12 -catalog
Protection Owner Group Size [B] Time Path
========================================================================================
drwxrwxrwt root root 24576 07/23/19 12:40:54 /tmp
-rw-rw-rw- root root 131 07/23/19 12:38:52 /tmp/.kc.trace
srwxrwxrwx sfmdb users 0 07/23/19 12:28:36 /tmp/.s.PGSQL.10864
-rw------- sfmdb users 49 07/23/19 12:28:36 /tmp/.s.PGSQL.10864.lock
-rw-r--r-- root sys 6431 03/12/19 10:12:05 /tmp/DPCMInstall_sd.log
-rw-r--r-- root sys 1260 04/12/17 08:35:55 /tmp/HPE3parinfo.log
-rw-r--r-- root sys 517209 07/23/19 08:00:21 /tmp/alltapes.txt
-rw-r--r-- root root 1520 10/18/17 13:50:05 /tmp/cc-sd.log
-rw-r--r-- root root 3046 10/18/17 13:49:12 /tmp/core_intg-sd.log
-rw-r--r-- root sys 0 05/20/19 11:19:56 /tmp/crs.out
-rw-r--r-- root root 1520 10/18/17 13:49:32 /tmp/da-sd.log

You have filenames, sizes, time&date...

Mathias

Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

No need to bother about this ... it's done automatically for you by Data Protector! See my previous post.

Koen

Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

Thanks Koen, that's very helpful.

Presumably it would need to be done for every object "by hand" so to speak?

I'm also wondering if DP is "smart" enough not to want to restore from temp directories. If not, then (as these are constantly changing and files are being constantly created & deleted) it will restore all of these as well as useful user data!

0 Likes
Highlighted
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Well, you can select object version (or "Latest" in your case) on the top level folder .... But that should be the default selection actually. You just need to make sure that "Omit" option is not selected and you're ready to go. It cannot get much easier I would say.

Not sure what you mean by "not to want to restore from temp directories". If you literally mean a directory called "temp" then it should be possible to get that excluded.

Koen

Highlighted
Valued Contributor.
Valued Contributor.

OK, I've had a play with this. I've created a directory with the following files:

c:\work\Example1.txt
c:\work\Example2.txt

and did a full backup of c:\work up to a tape ("tape1"), then deleted

and created a file

c:\work\Example3.txt

and did a full backup of c:\work (which now comprises:

to another tape ("tape2").

When I go to restore context I get "Restore Objects" or "Restore Sessions".

In "Restore Objects", under "Filesystems", I can see c:\work and the following files

(in other words, the deleted Example1.txt is showing)

If I select c:\work to restore, it shows all three files as selected for restore; but when I do a preview (or actually restore them) DP only wants "tape2" and restores Example2.txt and Example3.txt. It silently ignores the deleted (but selected) Example1.txt, regardless of whether the "Omit deleted Files" option is selected or not.

HOWEVER, if I individually select each individual file (rather than the parent directory c:\work), then DP does show both tapes being needed for the restore.

Individually selecting files isn't a problem for a small job like this, but if there were thousands (or millions) of files it wouldn't be practical. I'm inclined to think this behaviour is actually a bug (rather than a feature 😉 )

Does anyone know if there's a workaround, maybe by using omnir?

edit: though as far as I can tell from reading the manual. omnir requires a "session id" when restoring. But I'm unable to get omnir to do anything other than print out its usage.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.