Absent Member.. Wim Rombauts Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Restore of incremental backup only.

Jump to solution
This is the situation : I need to move a large amount of data from server1 to server2, both WindowsNT 4.0 and both OmniBack disk agents. Because the large amount of data, a direct server to server copy is not what I'm looking for.

So, in the weekend, a full backup is made on server1. On monday evening, a full restore can be started to server2 (this will take almost all night). The result can be checked and verified on tuesday (and wednesday if necessary). On wednesdayevening, a last incr1 backup is taken on server1 and I just want to restore that tape to server2. Preceding this incremental restore with a full restore is not an option because it wold take too long, and during the last restore, both servers are off)line for the users.

Any suggestions ?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Volker Borowski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Restore of incremental backup only.

Jump to solution
Wim,

if the incemental stuff is not that much, why go for incremental OB restore, or cataloging the tape (both very long lasting stuff).

So I would go for the NT way 🙂

attrib -A c: /S
attrib -A d: /S
:
:

which resets the archive bit on the entire drives.
Do you full backup/restore as you intended.

Next day, you network-map your target drives and do a

xcopy c:\ m"ap-drive":\ /M /S /E /C /R

The best thing is the /M flag which copys and resets the archiveflag after succesfull copy, so the command can be restarted.
May be you should consider to redirect the output to track any copy errors.

Keep in mind, that this will not work with running database files.

Volker

View solution in original post

9 Replies
Timothy Czarnik Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Wim,

This seems logical. However, I think by telling OmniBack to perform the restore nomrally that it will attempt to do the full restore from the last good full, then next incr, etc...

I would perform the full restore from the weekend tapes, then, using the tape with the last good incremental tape, use the "List from tape" option in the OmniBack restore GUI and perform the final restore from tape. This should circumvent OmniBack from attempting to use any other tapes.

Hope this helps!

-Tim
Hey! Who turned out the lights!
0 Likes
Timothy Czarnik Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Wim,

I guess I should mention that any files removed since the weekend full will still be on the restored system. That may be a consideration for you as well...

-Tim
Hey! Who turned out the lights!
0 Likes
Kurt Beyers. Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
You could rename server2 to server1 and give it the IP address of server1 as well during your restore operation (assuming that the REAL server1 is not in the network during the restore). Omniback will consider server2 as server1 in these circumstances.

Kurt
0 Likes
Volker Borowski Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Wim,

if the incemental stuff is not that much, why go for incremental OB restore, or cataloging the tape (both very long lasting stuff).

So I would go for the NT way 🙂

attrib -A c: /S
attrib -A d: /S
:
:

which resets the archive bit on the entire drives.
Do you full backup/restore as you intended.

Next day, you network-map your target drives and do a

xcopy c:\ m"ap-drive":\ /M /S /E /C /R

The best thing is the /M flag which copys and resets the archiveflag after succesfull copy, so the command can be restarted.
May be you should consider to redirect the output to track any copy errors.

Keep in mind, that this will not work with running database files.

Volker

View solution in original post

Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Thanks for the information already.

I see there are a few things to consider and to try out before I have the best way to copy the data between servers. I also found some trouble with copying the access permissons for local groups.

Any further comments and hints are still welcome. I will give points later when I can see what solution helped me the most.
0 Likes
Tommy Brown Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Wim, I recently performed that method of data move. I used a full backup to build and check out the second server. After that, I performed an Incr on server 1 and restored it to server 2 with no problems. It was a little confusing at first because OB2 reported 18GB data to backup, but only about 5Gb had changed and was actually backed up and restored. I think I had to use the overwrite flag on the restore.
Good Luck, Tommy
I may be slow, but I get there !
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Tommy, how exactly did you configure your restore to make OB only read the incr tape ?
0 Likes
Highlighted
Absent Member.. Wes Kaufmann Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
On HPUX OM 3.1 I was able to do a restore from the command line that only restored the incremental object on the tape. I don't remember off hand what the syntax was but I believe I identified the incremental backup on the tape via command line and than ran the restore of just that object via a command line command. Actually I just remembered where I kept a copy of the command:
omnidb -rpt "gives me a list of backups"

omnidb -session 2001/03/01-1 -detail "gives a list of file systems and details of the objects"

Than from the output of the above command I'm able to restore from the incremental only for one file system. I just line up the commands for the rest of the file systems I want to restore.
omnir -filesystem somesystem.domain.name:/var 'Full 60 day protection [/var
]' -session 2001/03/01-1 -overwrite -tree /var &
Tommy Brown Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Sorry, Wim for being slow.
I just chose the version date of the incremental backup. Mine was at a filesystem level (would probably be ok at Directory level as well). Since it was just a files backup, there is no integrity check (as in a database)to be performed..
Tommy
I may be slow, but I get there !
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.