Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Restore session filesystem - Successfully backed up directories greyed out?

Jump to solution

Hi, I have an issue that some of you might know the solution for.

I have a filesystem folder containing about 2TB data which is changed each day. 

I run a backup to tape of this folder, and i had to split it up into 2 jobs so it would finish in time, tapes have to be taken offsite each day. 

One job that reads half the folder and writes to one tape drive and another job that reads the other half and writes to another tape drive. 

The daily jobs makes incremental backups and i have some weekly and monthly jobs set up the same way which makes a full backup. 

But to the strange part, when i go to restore files from the folder, it cannot see that anything has been backed up, they are just greyed out, eventhough all the jobs have been completed successfully and alot of data has been written to tape. 

Im running DP 8.1 and using a MSL4048 library with 2 drives. 

Does anyone know what could cause this behaviour? Is it a corrupt catalog DB or? 

Thanks in advance

/Henrik

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.. Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Check the Data- and Catalog-Protection for all your Configs. The Full-Backup should be set to a longer Protection as the Incrementals. Make sure you set up proper Logging-Levels on all Jobs, If your Full-Job runs with NoLog you won't get lucky.

Also you didn't specify if the latest Full-Backup is still imported or already in the Vault, in last case the Catalog would be usually removed from IDB, hence the missing browsability.

Maybe try "omnidb -winfs Host:MountPoint Label -session SessionID -catalog" to get a list of all Objects that were locked in the Full and Incr Sessions.

View solution in original post

0 Likes
13 Replies
Ensign Ensign
Ensign

To clear understand:

You made Full backup on the weekend and Incremental backup during the week. And on friday you are not able to recover any files ?

What happend if you make export and import tape ? Do you see all data in the tape ?

Kamil

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Yes,  it does the backup successfully every day and when i try to go in and see which files i can restore under file restoring, the folders that have been backed up are greyed out, its as if it havent registrered it in the restore module that all the folders are backed up, eventhough it does that every day. 

I can see the data on all tapes if i browse them, but i want to be able to restore using the "Restore objects -> File system" as i have been able to do in the past. 

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi,

can you please send a screenshot of the problem?

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
Please assign Kudos - How to assign...
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

There you can see the greyed out folders, they were backed up this morning. 

The folders that arent greyed out, i can select, but they only show dates that are over a month old eventhough they are also backed up each day. 

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi,

please set the search interval to "None" and include the left part of the DP Gui.

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Now one of the folders is not greyed out anymore, but thats just because it can see a backup from March, but as i said it was backed up this morning last. 

0 Likes
Absent Member..

Hi,

as you use multi-streamed backup, can you please check wether the requested folder can be found in the "other 😧 drive", as displayed in the left side?

Best regards

Daniel

-----------
0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Hi again,

No its not there either, i've also tried this folder earlier. 

I've set the search interval to none, the latest file in this folder is from february. 

0 Likes
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Hi,

You are probably trying to restore “incremental backup version”.

In this case everything that was not backedup within this session is greyed out.

Regards

AlesKol

0 Likes
Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Im looking for any backup, not only incremental. And as i said, all folders are backed up daily and shows as successfully in the log (About 2.2TB in all) 

Once during the weekend it will do a full and incremental during working days. All which completes successfully, but when i go to restore them they arent there... 

See attached screenshot, this is a file which was backed up yesterday, i've set the search interval to none, and here is what i see. 

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.