Henry_52 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Restoring Incremental Backup

Jump to solution
Hello,

I restored full backup tape first and I tried to restore Incremental Backup.
But It's failed because Data protector want full backup tape. I don't understand because I already restored full backup tape.
Please let me know how can I restore incremental backup tape.

Regards,

Henry
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott McIntosh_ Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Restoring Incremental Backup

Jump to solution
Sounds like you are trying to do it as two restores, a restore of the full session followed by a restore of the incremental session. This will require the restore of the full twice, as the restore of the incremental will require restoring the full first. So if you went and restored the full first on your own, don't do that.

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support
7 Replies
Joseph T. Wycko Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
An incremental restore generally requires the whole chain of tapes.

In a lot of ways this task is like a transactional roll forward. Files are restored, and may even be deleted by the restoration...

That said, look on the options tab, and make sure that you have selected "OMIT UNREQUIRED TAPES."

Test by restoring just one file and observe the behaviour.

Good Luck.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
0 Likes
Leif Halvarsson Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi,
Yes, it is possible to restore an incremental only but not from the GUI (for some strange reason). You have to use the "omnir" command.

If using the "-full" option when specifying an incremental session, DP will restore the complete backup chain (full and incremental). If omitting "-full" DP restores the specified (incremental) session only
0 Likes
Highlighted
Henry_52 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thank you for quick reply.
I tried to find out "OMIT UNREQUIRED TAPES" but I couldn't and I can see "omit unrequired incrementals"

Thanks,

Henry
0 Likes
Joseph T. Wycko Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Aaah, sorry you are in the right place, I made a mistake.
Omniback and NT problems? double check name resolution, DNS/HOSTS...
0 Likes
Scott McIntosh_ Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Sounds like you are trying to do it as two restores, a restore of the full session followed by a restore of the incremental session. This will require the restore of the full twice, as the restore of the incremental will require restoring the full first. So if you went and restored the full first on your own, don't do that.

Thanks,
Scott
HP Support
Pradep Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Anyways, full restore is done.

now if you want to do Incremental restore and its in single tape only..then try the option list from media. it will scan media & produce the list of files in it.

then you can restore those incremental files. it wont ask full media !! select "keep most recent" option.

regards,
pradep
Jan Jonsson_2 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi

You can do a incr restore from the gui in DP. In the restore section go to the "task" tab and do a "restore by query". Then choose the time interval you want the files from and then when the result comes up select the files you want to restore but do not select the folders(if you select the folders a full restore will be performed). This is how i solved the issue.

regards

Jan Jonsson
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.