MatsHolm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Restoring/Recovery of VM after restoring outside a datacenter (restore to client)

Jump to solution
Hi!

Env:
CM w2k8 x64 - DP 6.11
vcenter4.0.0,208111 w2k3 i386
ESX4.0.0,208167
vcenter converter 4.1.1

Backup of the VM is fine.
We're restoring a VM to a networkshare (on a server not configured for vmware integration as in integration-documentation on s86-87 which SUCKS big time since all description and pictures are from old ESX versions sometimes as old as 3.0)
The share is accessable from vcenter server.

When starting vcenter converter and choosing other as source and pointing out the right path and .vmx file and giving a user that has permission to acces the share and is admin in vcenter the progress stops and giving me the attached error.

In the vcenter converter it says among a lot of errors:

[2010-03-08 13:26:27.881 'App' 4404 info] [stub,42] DISKLIB-LIB : Failed to open '\\xxxxxx\Snapshot-Restore\xxxxx01\xxxxxxxxx01.vmdk' with flags 0xe (The specified feature isn't supported by this version).

Anyone tried this an got it to work?
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Absent Member.. w_kolos Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Re: Restoring/Recovery of VM after restoring outside a datacenter (restore to client)

Jump to solution
Hello,
What kid of backup method do you use?
Snapshot directly from the vm-console or VCB?
Only when you make a VCB-Image backup you have a catalog file to restore with the converter.
Otherwise you can copy the files to the host server such as with SSH or upload via vm client to the datastore and you can add to inventory.
Br.
Walter
4 Replies
Absent Member..

Re: Restoring/Recovery of VM after restoring outside a datacenter (restore to client)

Jump to solution
Hi,
I have the same enviroment, and I had the same problems.
But I get the solution.
1. Restore the VM to disk.
2. rename the files like
catalog_2010_02_17_0044 --> catalog and
xx.vmdk_2010_02_17_0044 --> xx.vmdk
xx.vmx_2010_02_17_0044 --> xx.vmx
xx-flat.vmdk_2010_02_17_0044 --> xx-flat.vmdk
3. open the catalog file with an editor and edit the lines:
disk.scsi0:0.filename= "xx.vmdk"
disk.scsi0:0.diskname= "xx.vmdk"
config.vmx= "xx.vmx"
Delete all the dependencies of all old datastores.
4. run the converter again, it should work now.
Read the HP manual:
http://bizsupport1.austin.hp.com/bc/docs/support/SupportManual/c01631241/c01631241.pdf
"Recovery after restoring outside of a datacenter"
BR.
Walter

0 Likes
MatsHolm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
The thing is taht we don't have a catalog file after restore, don't know if that was a ESX 3.x file (we're on ESX 4.0).
The VMDK files is renamed and if I look in .vmx file it looks OK.

Not sure what you meen by delete reference to old datastores...

And we are doing the restore by the manual.

//Mats
0 Likes
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Hello,
What kid of backup method do you use?
Snapshot directly from the vm-console or VCB?
Only when you make a VCB-Image backup you have a catalog file to restore with the converter.
Otherwise you can copy the files to the host server such as with SSH or upload via vm client to the datastore and you can add to inventory.
Br.
Walter
MatsHolm Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi!

Sounds good cause we're using SNAPSHOT method.
So basicly I'll rename the files (no DP end) and copy to the ESX server and do an import?

//M
0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.