Welcome Serena Central users! CLICK HERE
The migration of the Serena Central community is currently underway. Be sure to read THIS MESSAGE to get your new login set up to access your account.
Established Member.. dirkdevos
Established Member..

Restoring a tape created on a different device

Hi,

I ran into an issue where we had created a single backup tape on a HP autoloader that has barcode scanning capabilities and then wanted to restore that same tape on an HP Ultrium 3000 that can only hold a single tape and that has no barcode abilities.. When we tried to restore data from the tape it kept on telling us that we need to load the correct tape. We physically verified that we had the right tape.

I called HP support and their solution to the problem was to recyle the tape, scan the tape and then import the tape which then rebuilt the tape's catalog. Given the fact that the both tape devices are managed by the same cell manager I thought that the restore option would be able to get the catalog information from the cell manager and that the import should not have been required.

What I did notice was that the tape label on the origional device was "[GP0000L5] GP0000L5" but the single tape device saw it as "[] GP0000L5" and after we imported it showed as "GP0000L5".

Thankfully the tape catalog was not to big and it only took about two hours to rebuild. Has anybody come accross this before and is their a way around this.

0 Likes
4 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Restoring a tape created on a different device

Hi,

When you loaded the tape in the standalone drive and before attempting the restore, you did a Scan on that drive, right?

Regards

Juanjo

0 Likes
rbradtx Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

Yes I did. What I am concerned about is the fact that I have to delete the index and then have to rebuild it.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

I believe that a scan should be enough in order to match the "new" media in the standalone drive to the "old" one in the library.

If this is not a corruption on this specific tape and you can reproduce the problem with every single tape you move to the standalone drive, then I would open a support case to have this checked in depth.

Regards

Juanjo

0 Likes
rbradtx Regular Contributor.
Regular Contributor.

I did open a ticket with HPE and their answer was that I have to blow away the current index, scan the tape and then import it again. Support believes that data protector was not intended to restore in a different location nor with a different device.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.