Restoring a tape created on a different device
I ran into an issue where we had created a single backup tape on a HP autoloader that has barcode scanning capabilities and then wanted to restore that same tape on an HP Ultrium 3000 that can only hold a single tape and that has no barcode abilities.. When we tried to restore data from the tape it kept on telling us that we need to load the correct tape. We physically verified that we had the right tape.
I called HP support and their solution to the problem was to recyle the tape, scan the tape and then import the tape which then rebuilt the tape's catalog. Given the fact that the both tape devices are managed by the same cell manager I thought that the restore option would be able to get the catalog information from the cell manager and that the import should not have been required.
What I did notice was that the tape label on the origional device was "[GP0000L5] GP0000L5" but the single tape device saw it as " GP0000L5" and after we imported it showed as "GP0000L5".
Thankfully the tape catalog was not to big and it only took about two hours to rebuild. Has anybody come accross this before and is their a way around this.
I believe that a scan should be enough in order to match the "new" media in the standalone drive to the "old" one in the library.
If this is not a corruption on this specific tape and you can reproduce the problem with every single tape you move to the standalone drive, then I would open a support case to have this checked in depth.
I did open a ticket with HPE and their answer was that I have to blow away the current index, scan the tape and then import it again. Support believes that data protector was not intended to restore in a different location nor with a different device.