Our vBulletin migration is complete.
Welcome vBulletin users! All content and user information from the Micro Focus Forums (vBulletin) site has been migrated to this site. READ MORE.
Trusted Contributor.. Steve Berry Trusted Contributor..
Trusted Contributor..

Restoring the IDB to another Cell Server in HP-UX

Jump to solution

Hi All,

I amy trying to restore the DP 9.09 IDB to our DR Cell Server.  Basically, we do a backup of the IDB several times a day to a VTL which is then replicated to our DR site.  I can access the replicated tape at our DR site and import it to a VTL there.  When I start the restore of the IDB it looks as if it's going to work but then fails at the last minute.  I see a lot of articles out there for Windows but nothing really pertaining to HP-UX.  Is there a procedure to do this?

Some things of note:  currently the server names/ip addresses are different but during a DR test those are changed to match the production Cell Server (and DR is on an isolated network as not to have a concflict).  Both server are running DP 9.09 and are HP-UX 11.31. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Re: Restoring the IDB to another Cell Server in HP-UX

Jump to solution

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure what options you are selecting for the IDB restore., please check the Admin guide on this section:

"Restoring the IDB database on a different Cell Manager host" it will give you all the steps to perform the restore. the same way as you are trying at this moment.

Also, in regards to the error that you are getting "An internal error occurred" there was a known issue fixed on 9.05 build 106, you mentioned the patch level on the source CM, please make sure the target Cell Manager also has the same patch level as the source CM.

Best Regards

0 Likes
6 Replies
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hello Steve, 

All the configuration looks good. Could you please tell me which method are you using?

Also, please send me the error that you received to analyze it. 

Regards, 

Andres Fallas Salazar
Customer Support Engineer

If you find that this or any other post resolves your issue, please be sure to mark it as an accepted solution.
If you are satisfied with anyone’s response please remember to give them a LIKE by clicking on the bottom at the left of the post and show your appreciation.
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hello Andres,

Basically I have done the following:  (Note that the hostname is different at this point)

1. Stop replication

2. Import the tape into our DR VTL

3. Barcode scan

4. import the tape into Data Protector

5. Start a restore of the IDB changing all locations from the default to /restore/dp9

Here are the last few messages of the restore session:

[Normal] From: OB2BAR_POSTGRES_BAR@ironman4.fss.aramark.com "DPIDB" Time: 3/22/2018 1:23:13 PM

Starting replacement of the Internal Database

[Normal] From: OB2BAR_POSTGRES_BAR@ironman4.fss.aramark.com "DPIDB" Time: 3/22/2018 1:23:43 PM

Replacement of the Internal Database finished successfully

[Normal] From: RMA@ironman4.fss.aramark.com "IBM:ULTRIUM-TD1_1_ironman4" Time: 3/22/2018 1:24:22 PM

Ejecting medium '1'.

[Normal] From: RMA@ironman4.fss.aramark.com "IBM:ULTRIUM-TD1_1_ironman4" Time: 3/22/2018 1:24:22 PM

=> UMA@ironman4.fss.aramark.com@/dev/rchgr/autoch1

Unloading medium to slot 1 from device /dev/rtape/tape12_BESTn

COMPLETED Media Agent "IBM:ULTRIUM-TD1_1_ironman4"

[Critical] From: OB2BAR_POSTGRES_BAR@ironman4.fss.aramark.com "DPIDB" Time: 3/22/2018 1:25:04 PM

An internal error occurred

[Normal] From: RSM@ironman4.fss.aramark.com "" Time: 3/22/2018 1:25:05 PM

OB2BAR application on "ironman4.fss.aramark.com" disconnected.

Maintenance mode was turned off. Please reconnect GUI to Cell Manager.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Steve,

I'm not sure what options you are selecting for the IDB restore., please check the Admin guide on this section:

"Restoring the IDB database on a different Cell Manager host" it will give you all the steps to perform the restore. the same way as you are trying at this moment.

Also, in regards to the error that you are getting "An internal error occurred" there was a known issue fixed on 9.05 build 106, you mentioned the patch level on the source CM, please make sure the target Cell Manager also has the same patch level as the source CM.

Best Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Jump to solution

Hi Steve,

I have seen this kind of error in cases where plenty of archive logs had to be applied for the IDB point in time recovery. You can try to define DbRecoveryTimeout=30 (or higher) in the global configuration file on the destination Cell Manager and restart the services before attempting the restore. You can refer to /var/opt/omni/server/db80/pg/pg_log (or the one where you are restoring to) for details on the recovery.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Trusted Contributor..

Jump to solution

Hi All,

So after bringing the DR cell server up to the same level as our production server I am starting to get somewhere.  Restoring and trying to do an online recover still doesn't work but I suspect that has to do with the hostname being different (from our production cell).  Restoring to an alternate directory, shutting down and then copying everything into place seems to work.  I have issues connecting via the gui but again I suspect this has something to do with the hostname being different.  Running omnidb shows our restored data.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

0 Likes
Micro Focus Expert
Micro Focus Expert

Jump to solution

Hi Steve,

That's correct. As mentioned, please follow the instructions from the admin guide "Restoring the IDB database on a different Cell Manager host"

It will give you all the steps to change the components to the new name of the DR CM.

Best Regards

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.