Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Save Log Sessions

Hello Everybody,

I'd like to save the sessions in the "internal database" view which have the catalog expired.

Currently, The sessions are stored only while they have the catalog not expired, after to expire, the session is deleted automatically.

I need to keep all sessions by 365 days without to change the date/time of expire.

0 Likes
5 Replies
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hello, 

About your query:

"I'd like to save the sessions in the "internal database" view which have the catalog expired."

You can apply the following: 

Deactivate the daily maintenance of the IDB by setting the following variable in the global file:

DailyMaintenanceTime=99:99 

This variable should be uncommented (without #)

The global file is located just in the Cell Manager in the following paths based on its OS:

• Windows: C:\ProgramData\OmniBack\Config\Server\Options
  • UNIX:  /etc/opt/omni/server/options/global

Remember to restart DP services after apply changes in the global file.

Note: It is important you take into consideration that the IDB will increase its size gradually if you remove the daily maintenance. 

Hope this helps. 

Regards

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

Hi Bryan,

I think that your post isn't the best choice, exactly cause if I deactivate the daily maintenance the IDB will be increasing gradually and I haven't enough space to this.

I just want to keep the sessions that have catalog expired.

I think that If change the "KeepMessages" for "365" value is sufficient. But I'm not sure if this will be afect the catalog protections

0 Likes
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor.
Trusted Contributor.

Hello Renan, 

# KeepMessages=NumberOfDays

# default: 0
# This global option controls how many days the session messages
# are kept in the database (if the session is not obsoleted and
# removed sooner). If the value is 0 then the session message
# are not removed before session.

If the session is not protected it will be removed by the Purge even with the variable in place.

You have to options, protect the sessions you want to keep for 365 days or disable the purge (which is not recommended).

Thanks

Kev

0 Likes
Highlighted
Outstanding Contributor.
Outstanding Contributor.

Sessions without any protected objects offer only session detail and session messages. May I ask why you want to keep this around in IDB?

If it's meant just as a log of operations performed in a year, there are alternatives to keeping data in IDB:

• Use omnidb -session <session ID> -detail, and omnidb -session <sessionID> -report to export of this information somewhere.
  • Alternatively, you could look into Backup Navigator - it is designed to keep such metadata well after it has expired in DP.

You could keep

You could export

0 Likes
Highlighted
Respected Contributor.
Respected Contributor.

@antaln

Thanks for your help! I need save log sessions in IDB due to external audits in my job.

They needs that all sessions from last 365 days ( restores, media, sucess and failed ). That's why I must store it as log in IDB, Just log sessions! Not Catalog which was expired!!!

With OMNIDB command, I think that isn't possible, cause it show me only the sessions that wasn't deleted by purge task.

Now I enabled the AUDIT feature in global file. But It isn't clear to me how it works. I don't know If after purge task, the expired sessions will be presents in audit reports.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.