orcibalbertrand Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Schelude a backup after another backup

Jump to solution
Hello,

I'am in Dataprotector version : HP OpenView Storage Data Protector A.06.00: OMNICHECK, internal build DPWIN_00384, built on Wednesday, August 13, 2008,1:10 PM

Can i schelude a backup after the end of another backup ?

Best regards.
0 Likes
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OldSchool Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Re: Schelude a backup after another backup

Jump to solution
first, your statement: "But, i don't know the time of the first backup " confuses me. Is it no in the scheduler? If not, how is it started?

you have a few options

1) if you've two jobs, then look at the history of the first to see approximately how long it runs. then schedule the second job after that amount of time has elapsed. for example, first job starts at 12 midnight and usually runs 2 hours. schedule the second job at 2 or 2:15am. Any "overlap" would get you a "waiting for devices" error, but should wait until the timeout period elapses.

2) schedule the second job 15 minutes after the first and bump up the SMWaitForDevices(?) option in the global options file so that it waits a sufficiently long period for the first to complete

3) you can "daisy-chain" backups by running the second backup out of a post-exec script of the first job. I believe you may need the "nomonitor" option(?). I don't particularly care for this option, as a failure in the first job will prevent the second from working as well (if I remember correctly).

DP doesn't have a builtin method to schedule multiple jobs to run sequentially, its up to you to set the schedule appropriately.

FWIW: My preferrence is #1 above. I generally take the average time of the 1st job + 15 minutes and use that as the basis for scheduling the second, and third and ....
15 Replies
Steven Clementi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
You can schedule many jobs at the same time. Assuming you have several tape drives, multiple jobs may run together.

If you only have 1 tape drive, the next scheduled job won't run until the drive is available again. (Usually anyway)

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
0 Likes
orcibalbertrand Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks for your response.

But, i don't know the time of the first backup and if i schedule it at same time i have a "time out, get free tape" on the second backup.
0 Likes
OldSchool Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
first, your statement: "But, i don't know the time of the first backup " confuses me. Is it no in the scheduler? If not, how is it started?

you have a few options

1) if you've two jobs, then look at the history of the first to see approximately how long it runs. then schedule the second job after that amount of time has elapsed. for example, first job starts at 12 midnight and usually runs 2 hours. schedule the second job at 2 or 2:15am. Any "overlap" would get you a "waiting for devices" error, but should wait until the timeout period elapses.

2) schedule the second job 15 minutes after the first and bump up the SMWaitForDevices(?) option in the global options file so that it waits a sufficiently long period for the first to complete

3) you can "daisy-chain" backups by running the second backup out of a post-exec script of the first job. I believe you may need the "nomonitor" option(?). I don't particularly care for this option, as a failure in the first job will prevent the second from working as well (if I remember correctly).

DP doesn't have a builtin method to schedule multiple jobs to run sequentially, its up to you to set the schedule appropriately.

FWIW: My preferrence is #1 above. I generally take the average time of the 1st job + 15 minutes and use that as the basis for scheduling the second, and third and ....
Steven Clementi Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Does the first job normally take about the same amount of time to complete? You can change the time of the 2nd job to start later... closer to the time that you expect the 1st to complete or even after the time you expect it to complete.

There is alos the possibility to change the timeout value though I am not sure if it is possible with DP. i would think it would be something changable. I will look into it once I have a moment on/in my sandbox.

Another option would be to make a post exec script that calls/starts another job... but I am unsure of what the command would be to use for it.

Steven
Steven Clementi
HP Master ASE, Storage and Clustering
MCSE (NT 4.0, W2K, W2K3)
VCP (ESX2, Vi3, vSphere4, vSphere5)
RHCE
NPP3 (Nutanix Platform Professional)
PSS SYS ADMIN Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Another way maybe to use the crontab to launch a script that start 1 job at a time.
You can start the backup job with no_monitor and check periodically with omnistat if the job it's finished. Than start the subsequent job.
Scott McIntosh_ Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Proper process to chain jobs would be to configure an End of Session notification, triggered by the conclusion of the first job, which runs an external script (bat file) that runs omnib (with the -no_monitor option) to start the second job.

Thanks,
Scott
Ole Thomsen_1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
As a new DP user I find it a bit annoying that it is not possible to chain or pool a series of jobs that uses the same tape device.

This is an obvious feature that should not have to be achieved by external scripts and batch jobs, or trying to hit the finishing time of a previous job.

Ole Thomsen
Sajjad Sahir Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Dear friend

u can shedule a alot of backups at a time
normally in order to keep drive availablitly we are scheudling backup at different times.

thanks and regards

Sajjad Sahir
Scott McIntosh_ Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Expectations will kill you every time.

If you need it simple, set SmWaitForDevice to something overly large and just launch em all.

Just make such none of them are VCB jobs that run against the same proxy.

Thanks,
Scott
Highlighted
OldSchool Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
"As a new DP user I find it a bit annoying that it is not possible to chain or pool a series of jobs that uses the same tape device. "

Well, the other two (schedule-based) products I've used in the past didn't have that capability either....and in 15+ years of using OBII / DP, I've not found it a significant impediment.
Ole Thomsen_1 Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Thanks, I changed the smwaitfordevice. That ought to solve it, hope there will be no side effects.

Ole Thomsen
CBee Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
In the past, a previous administrator carefully created some post-execute scripts that run on the cellmanager and start the next backup. This works if all goes well. However, in case of trouble, it is a pain in the ass, so better not do this...

My idea is to configure the jobs just one per tape-device at a time. It takes some time to fine-tune this if you have a narrow backup window but it gets the best results.

Scheduled backups will by default wait an hour till the tape-device comes free. Hence, it is save to 'short schedule' jobs: start the job at the time the prevous job is about to finish.

Finally, you will find some jobs with relative static times and others (specially incrementals) that vary wildly in time. Schedule the later ones at the end.
Things that go automatically, automatically go wrong...
Absent Member.. Tonny Sejr Krom Absent Member..
Absent Member..

Jump to solution
Not sure if it may help you, but we do backups of Oracle logs with a script which sequentially calls 2 SAP-integration DP jobs like this:

omnib -sap_list "logs_orig"
omnib -sap_list "logs_copy"

This is done from the client, since it knows when it should be done, but could also be on the cell-manager.

If it's not SAP integration you have to use something other than -sap_list, probably
'omnib -datalist "Your-Backup-Name"'.

It's been working fine for many years.

--
Best regards
Tonny
Daniel Leite Absent Member.
Absent Member.

Jump to solution
Hi

i had a setup with a daisy chain of backups, where the in the notification we used the end session execute script to start the next backup... so we had 3 big trains of backups in 3 tapes... its a hell to manage, if one process locks, no more backup on that tape, if you need to disable a backup, lots of trouble to redo the chain and then try to not forget to restore the chain later and some other problems

with this experience, i say to every one to NOT FOLLOW that path

instead we increase the session wait timeout (the above parameter) to about 12H (we have ALOTS of backups, some take more than 20H to run) and setup in the scheduler all backups again in the order and near the time they should start. (small backups first, middle of the night the big databases, end of the night backups that doesnt matter if they run during the morning if needed)

if some backup takes more time, we dont care, when it ends, it will start the next one until the wait queue is clean.

it works, its easy to manage and takes almos all the trouble of manage the backup times.
It works so well that i now put all small backups starting all at same time, each take 10-20min and during the few first hours they all run successful in any order

we also setup all backups to use one of any of the 3 drivers... this way the first drive to be free will take any job waiting. If one backups locks, with a little of luck the remaining 2 drivers still manage to complete the backups. If you have several drivers, use this setup... recommended 🙂
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.