Established Member.. MukeshHanda
Established Member..

Snapshot Backup Issue with HPDP ( Snapshot Makes Application unavailable while doing DB snapshot)

Hi Team, 

I am using HPDP 9.04 to backup huge VM environemnt around 15K VM via snaphost method. Due to DB snapshot it freeze my DB server for couple of second and makes my application unavailable. I am facing this issue every day for many servers constantly.  That is the reason I am looking for DP alternative. 

Can someone assist me on this to find out the root cause?

Should i shop Snapshot backup for DB and to use online integration apporach to do the backup? thoughts

Regards

Mukesh Handa 

0 Likes
4 Replies
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Re: Snapshot Backup Issue with HPDP ( Snapshot Makes Application unavailable while doing DB snapshot

Hi Mukesh,

the issue you're facing is related to the VMware snapshot handling, not Data Protector. Data Protector is just leveraging VADP. I had the same issue with VEEAM Backup and Replication recently in a customer environment.

If you're closely monitoring the VM during Snapshot creation you will most likely see a connection issue when the Snapshot is created and one when it is commited. You can give it a try by creating an VMware Snapshot (with and without Quiesce guest file system option) from vCenter. Don't try the memory snapshot, since this will freeze the VM for several seconds to minutes and Data Protector does not use this option anyway. I'll bet you should be able to see the same kind of issues.

Please talk to VMware support on how this could be resolved.

In the meantime Online Integration backup for the database and a file system backup with AutoDR component installed will ensure you can recover the VM operating system in case you have to.

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
Established Member.. MukeshHanda
Established Member..

Re: Snapshot Backup Issue with HPDP ( Snapshot Makes Application unavailable while doing DB snapshot

Hi Sebastian 

First of all let me thank you for adding your experience here. Appreiate it.

Would not it be passing the buck to VMware. Its true that HPDP is using Vmware funcationlity to handle the snapshot. I think HP team should sit with Vmware team to sort out this connection issue because It must be happening with other clients as well.

This connection issue only happens when HPDP initiate snapshot. that is the reason all fingres are pointing to DP. There must be a process in place where snapshot makes sure that all the connection are intact.  Are HP working towards this appraoch or just dependent on Vmware ???

Warm Regards

Mukesh Handa

0 Likes
Knowledge Partner Knowledge Partner
Knowledge Partner

Hey Mukesh,

I can tell you that I have dozens of VMware installations backed up with Data Protector and other software products and hit this specific Snapshot creation issue only once - with VEEAM. Based on my observations this was related to one specific VM only. This VM was tuned for optimal Oracle database performance (having plenty of CPU, Memory and Disk resources, fixed shares etc.). I'm convinced that this was causing the issue.

f you do a manual VM Snapshot from vCenter with Quiesce guest file system option set you should see a few pings getting lost during creation. In our case this took 15 to 40 seconds! It will also happen in case you delete the snapshot again.

Also I can tell you that this kind of discussion what vendor A should with vendor B and vice versa will lead to nothing. 🙂

Regards,
Sebastian Koehler

---
Please use the Like button below, if you find this post useful.
0 Likes
mihaib200 Frequent Contributor.
Frequent Contributor.

0 Likes
The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of Micro Focus. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation. Certain versions of content ("Material") accessible here may contain branding from Hewlett-Packard Company (now HP Inc.) and Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company. As of September 1, 2017, the Material is now offered by Micro Focus, a separately owned and operated company. Any reference to the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks is historical in nature, and the HP and Hewlett Packard Enterprise/HPE marks are the property of their respective owners.